letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: Pipes of Peace  (Read 2731 times)

Mervap

• Administrator
Pipes of Peace
« on: April 14, 2013, 12:04:52 pm »

I'll probably regret this, but I've seen a lot of criticism of "Pipes" concerning the 'over-production'...to my ears there isn't a lot of difference between "Pipes' and "Tug of War"...what I see as the main difference, standing out a mile in fact, is that the songs on "Pipes"(in general) are not as strong as "Tug". Sounds as though Macca thought, "Well they really liked "Tug" and its mix of shiny pop-rock and the two duets with r-n-b singer Stevie! Hmmmm...gotta try that again...hmmm...can't just repeat the exact same formula, especially with Stevie. Wonder what Jacko's up to? Yeah! I'll write some tunes on the way!" Now, of course, Macca could write tunes anywhere and they would be better than 95% of the rest on the radio, but we seem to expect more. I guess he's spoiled us rotten!

Having said that, a number of songs on "Pipes" were either began or completed during the same sessions as "Tug" and just didn't make the cut for it. "Pipes of Peace" has the personal distinction of being the only Macca album I ever won on a radio contest...
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 12:21:24 pm by Mervap »
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

2 of 3

• Email
Re: Pipes of Peace
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 08:18:45 pm »

I can't think of even one song I like on this album. In fact, I stopped buying his albums for a long time after this one....at least...not until I heard them first.  :-\

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 07:50:23 am »

I can't think of even one song I like on this album. In fact, I stopped buying his albums for a long time after this one....at least...not until I heard them first.  :-\

Oooh that's a bit harsh! I think it's one of those albums where Side One is relatively strong, and Side Two is terrible (with the exception of the opener 'The Man' with Michael Jackson.. which is decent).

I still think 'Say Say Say' is a true classic - one of the top songs of the 1980s. And George Martin did an AMAZING job with modern production techniques on this track. It sounds better than a lot of music made in 2014. Another standout is the closing song on Side 1, 'So Bad'. Excellent stuff. I think Macca had Ringo on the video for this song - did he also play the drums on it?

My favourite song on Pipes of Peace is 'Keep Under Cover' - it's just a brilliant song, there are moments where it rocks flat out and Macca delivers stunning vocals in that hard rock realm.

Overall, it's the kind of album I could only give a 5/10 at best. Half of it is decent-to-great, and half of it is bloody awful. I guess this is what you get when scraping together outtakes from the previous album with current singles to bolster it up. To me, this is like the 'Yellow Submarine' of Paul's career. Side One is awesome, Side Two I have no desire to listen to it.  But hey, overall, it's okay.

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 04:42:31 am »

Well I got the new remaster of 'Pipes' and on the whole, it's pretty good. But I was hoping for a bit more bass response? But I guess this is the best we are ever going to hear it.

The bonus 'Say Say Say' 2015 remix with Jacko and Macca's vocals swapped around with different lines to what was sung in the final version, was interesting, but not any better than the original. Here it is here -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AZ3fBWNvf4

Overall, I don't think this release will aid in re-evaluating/appreciating the album, nor gaining critical acclaim in retrospect as earlier Macca reissues have done.. it is still largely a turkey in his catalogue - but there are still some nice songs on the album if you're willing to wade through the bad!  ;D

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 06:24:14 am »

Nice review kyle. My feeling exactly. There aren't a whole lot of reasons to spend money on this release.

Greg

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 11:19:02 am »

Yes.  My feeling too.

Someone (me...but again he never called) needed to tell him "no".  There are some really good songs on this.  There are probably 3 that I really don't like, but my dislike for those 3 make it hard listen to this record. I wish he would have gotten back to collaborating with John during this period.  Lennon wouldn't have stood for some of that crap, and he would have inspired Paul to write great tunes...vice-versa.

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 03:54:48 am »

Agree with everybody here. There are pangs of cognitive dissonance with this remastered deluxe edition. I already have the vinyl, and the cd, and now this new set. Is it really an album good enough to warrant buying 3 times in one's lifetime? Well, it's a curly one, because the songs I like on it, I like them a lot. But it also contains some of my least-favourite Macca songs ever written. I put it down to being the odds-and-ends from Tug of War.