letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Venus and Mars  (Read 5359 times)

kylenz

• Email
Re: Venus and Mars
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2016, 10:10:54 pm »

My Coming Up 45 from 1980 (New Zealand release) always had the main song on the A-side, and then the live version on the B-side, segueing into Lunch Box/Odd Sox. Always loved that track. Found it weird though how it eventually made it onto the bonus tracks on the Venus and Mars CD - surely it belongs on the McCartney II bonus tracks?

And then there's the 'Goodnight Tonight' on the McCartney II CD bonus tracks - isn't it more logical to put it on the Back To The Egg bonus tracks? Never understood any of those decisions when those CDs came out.  :-\

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2016, 10:14:00 pm »

I think I ended up playing Lunch Box/Odd Sox way more often than I did 'Coming Up'! Much like Girls School got way more of an airing than Mull Of Kintyre, and Daytime Nighttime Suffering got infinitely more spins than Goodnight Tonight (even though GT was pretty good!).

Here's a page with details on the New Zealand 1980 'Coming Up' 45, and you can see what the label looked like etc..
https://www.discogs.com/Paul-McCartney-Coming-Up/release/8207209

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2016, 01:43:40 am »

And another one - 'Flying To My Home' I ended up playing way more than 'My Brave Face'!

Keri

• Music from under my skin
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2016, 05:20:31 am »

I do have a question though, for anyone who might know the answer. When they re-master...can they not re-produce it too?

Unfortunately, especially with things recorded onto tape, you have what you have. Sure, you can clean it up and reduce noise, but what is on the track tapes is all you have.....if it was recorded with effects on it, they stay forever. I would be interested to hear this one on the actual 16 track tapes and see what's there. A remix might help...

What Steve Wilson did with Yes, King Crimson and Jethro Tull is go back to the multi tracks and then you have saved a generation, in no transfer to the mix that became the master, as well as just be able to clarify things. The multi tracks for Paul's stuff should exist and I'm sure someone could make VAM sound very nice while not being wildly different in conception.

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2016, 06:13:56 am »

I do have a question though, for anyone who might know the answer. When they re-master...can they not re-produce it too?

Unfortunately, especially with things recorded onto tape, you have what you have. Sure, you can clean it up and reduce noise, but what is on the track tapes is all you have.....if it was recorded with effects on it, they stay forever. I would be interested to hear this one on the actual 16 track tapes and see what's there. A remix might help...

Yeah! Paul did it recently with Tug Of War - remixing it while keeping the stereo picture in pretty much the same position. Would like them to do this with VAM - especially if they could re-EQ the individual multitracks..

What Steve Wilson did with Yes, King Crimson and Jethro Tull is go back to the multi tracks and then you have saved a generation, in no transfer to the mix that became the master, as well as just be able to clarify things. The multi tracks for Paul's stuff should exist and I'm sure someone could make VAM sound very nice while not being wildly different in conception.
Pages: 1 [2]