letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: Run Devil Run  (Read 3935 times)

Mervap

• Administrator
Run Devil Run
« on: April 06, 2013, 08:14:36 pm »

I was somewhat disappointed when I saw a track listing of the songs on this CD....I had heard that Macca was working with David Gilmour and Ian Paice and I immediately thought, "These are the types of guys that will force Paulie to dig deep into his songwriting bag for some REALLY great tunes....". I saw only 3 originals and a bunch of covers. I'd not heard before then that this was a retro-style project...

Fast-forward to release day...I did purchase this disc on day of issue, despite my misgivings..."Flaming Pie" had been so instantly likeable and I thought this might be a step backwards. I unwrapped the CD and slid the disc into my dash....and a tatooed arm reached out of my car stereo and slapped me silly for about an hour!

The easiest thing in the world for seasoned pros to do in a situation like "Run" would be note-perfect renditions of some old favorites, with the enthusiasm ratcheted up a bit, like the "Russian Album", which I liked a bunch. Not these guys...most of these covers take the original intent and take it somewhere else..."All Shook Up" beats the fool out of the Elvis rendition. "Honey Hush", "She Said Yeah"....now that's some dang fine Rock!

That said, my two faves on this album are two of the more subdued tunes on here, "Blue Jean Bop" and "Movie Magg". The former has some killer slapback echo on the vocal without being distracting, while the latter is a completely disarming tune from the late, and serverely underappreciated Carl Perkins.

My only complaint about this collection was this: I am a music dynamics freak, and quite a few songs on this CD sound REALLY compressed, with a very narrow dynamics range, almost like an AM station...perhaps that was the intention, but why does it only happen on some of the tunes? "She Said Yeah" likely was most affected. If it isn't a production choice, then how'd it happen? The performance was brilliant, though.
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

chris

• Email
Re: Run Devil Run
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 08:37:46 pm »

paul has had some sketchy production decisions in the past 15 years or so. and this one does suffer. nice call. but there isn't a bad track on this album. big fan. and when it does get cleaned up...oh...around 2024 by the pace he's going...it'll sound just fine.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I've got to get a belly full of wine...

Roger

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 12:19:06 pm »

Paul should do a studio album with this band, imho.

chris

• Email
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 12:57:48 pm »

I think one of the guitarists passed away. So it's to late for that, exactly...but you're right...I'd have loved to see this band do more
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I've got to get a belly full of wine...

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 01:43:16 pm »

Yeah, Chris, exactly right....Mick Green passed away in 2010. Still think it'd be awesome to see the remainder get together and maybe bring in someone like a Dave Edmunds in Mick's place.

chris

• Email
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 05:09:36 pm »

Didn't Edmund and Paul have a working relationship before? Maybe around the Broadstreet album? Yeah..that'd work. I used to like him. Remember Slipping Away?

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 05:35:21 pm »

I sure do.....been an Edmunds fan ever since. Dave was actually IN the Broadstreet movie as a member of his band.

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 08:15:27 pm »

I'm still not interested in hearing Paul do cover tunes.  ??? ;D

Keri

• Music from under my skin
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, 05:31:37 pm »

I have to say that I have never heard this album for pretty much that reason. Maybe I'm missing something.

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2014, 01:12:20 am »

I have to say that I have never heard this album for pretty much that reason. Maybe I'm missing something.

'Try Not To Cry' is a Paul McCartney original, and it is a scorcher!  :D

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2014, 09:43:44 am »

I have to admit I'm a bit put off by Paul doing cover tunes. Not sure why. I can tell you without a doubt though that I can never hear Twenty Flight Rock again in my lifetime and not be sad in the least. What is the deal with Paul's love of this song? That being said, I like Run Devil Run..but it's Paul Freaking McCartney here we're talking about. I have no idea why he didn't write every song on it, as a homage to this type of music he loves so much.

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 11:53:32 am »

Macca prolly loves "20 Flight Rock" because it's the song that got him into the band.

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2014, 04:33:43 pm »

Oh I'm sure  you're right. On a side note, I just found a Paul Live in Japan from November of last year....and guess what song in on the sound check? ;)

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2014, 07:30:33 pm »

Twenty Right Flock?