letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: Red Rose Speedway  (Read 2332 times)

kylenz

• Email
Red Rose Speedway
« on: June 13, 2014, 07:26:55 am »

Just think this forum needs a thread for my favourite Wings album, Red Rose Speedway!

I was acquainted with the Wings albums before becoming familiar with The Beatles, so I guess my love for these albums grew from a place free from prejudice and comparing solo albums with previous group works etc.

A lot of my first impressions of RRS as a young kid still resonate the same way with me today. My favourite songs are still 'Little Lamb Dragonfly', 'Get On The Right Thing', and 'Hold Me Tight'. I still really love the medley on Side 2. That medley rivals the end of 'Abbey Road' for song strength, pure ambition and diversification.

I still love the warmth of the production of the album. A richness comes through that you don't get on the likes of McCartney II/Tug of War/Pipes of Peace, or Flowers in the Dirt. Melts like chocolate!

The track sequencing is perfect - sure it doesn't open with a barnstormer like 'Too Many People' or 'Band on the Run/Jet', but more like a "hey man, come on in, relax!!" kinda deal with 'Big Barn Bed'! I like how Side 2 opens with the elegant simplicity of 'Single Pigeon' - one of the underrated songs, but right up there with the likes of Martha My Dear on the white album - they both possess such beautifully-crafted piano melodies.

For many, the low point on RRS is the 'Loup' instrumental. I think it's fantastic! It's like Macca exploring progressive rock, going kinda Dark-Side-of-the-Moon Pink Floyd-y!

The medley is the icing on the cake. 'Hold Me Tight' is a classic tune that could've been released as a single just like 'My Love' was, but I also think 'Hands of Love' is a top tune. The closing track in the medley, 'Power Cut', owes its coda to 'Hey Jude' - all good vibes and the entire album oozes warmth and cosy fires!

The album artwork is also very well-designed. From the eyecatching cover of Macca's face in front of a motorbike with a red rose in his mouth, to the black label with the "W" Wings logo in silver, to the multi-page booklet with all the cool/crazy artwork inside with all the song lyrics typewritten, to the back cover with the braille on it - so many good memories of the overall experience interacting with the LP itself and playing it and falling in love with it. Band on the Run had the same effect on me, but RRS will always have a special place in my heart. I hope it gets remastered soon someday!  :D

Mervap

• Administrator
Re: Red Rose Speedway
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 03:44:16 pm »

You're right, Kyle....glad you opened this one! I was checking my archive and found a quote from you about this CD:

One of the underappreciated tracks on this album would be Single Pigeon. The piano melody and the chords are gorgeous - it would make a good Beatles tune in the vein of Good Day Sunshine. The horns sound like they came straight from 1966 too!

Spot on!
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 10:34:28 pm »

You're right, Kyle....glad you opened this one! I was checking my archive and found a quote from you about this CD:

One of the underappreciated tracks on this album would be Single Pigeon. The piano melody and the chords are gorgeous - it would make a good Beatles tune in the vein of Good Day Sunshine. The horns sound like they came straight from 1966 too!

Spot on!

Wow, yeah! It sure would've made a fitting Beatles song, even though it is generally regarded as one of Macca's lesser tracks in his solo career.

That must've been from the old forum! If only we could log in to it again, such a shame to build up a wealth of perspectives only to have it non-functional in the end.   :-X

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 06:51:08 am »

I can't say you could log in, but here is the addy: http://www.letstalkbeatles.com/forum/index.php

Try it....maybe you can find some treasure!
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

Keri

• Music from under my skin
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 06:37:36 pm »

I've always liked this album.

Paul was definitely the Beatle most heart broken by the break up, he slumped into depression because of it and when he started to emerge again his music was very personal, not in a confessional kind of way like John was doing, but he wasn't trying to prove anything, I think Linda really encouraged him to just be himself. This album and RAM for me are the classics of this relaxed personal style. I find it really charming, it's easy to love this album.

There is invention here, the songs are quite long as he isn't trying to do anything tight. He's playful and the sound and feel is warm and well rounded, with Band on the Run he would enter another phase of his career much tighter and more focused but this is a real gem in his catalogue that is too often overlooked.