letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: McCartney II  (Read 3225 times)

kylenz

• Email
McCartney II
« on: July 05, 2014, 03:54:22 am »

I was just going to post a link to this great cover of Temporary Secretary and couldn't find the thread for McCartney II, so have posted a new one here. Anyway, take a listen to this - very cool. I've never heard anyone ever attempt to cover this song and they've done quite a faithful cover of it. Apparently these guys are from Mexico!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e5zOeewFpE

Mervap

• Administrator
Re: McCartney II
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 09:00:43 am »

That was super-cool! The synth line is VERY accurate.
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 09:34:33 am »

By the way, Kyle, here is your original review of this album:

Oh boy! Again, I was so lucky to still be a kid to dig this one. It was my Christmas present for 1980! I earlier had the Coming Up single with Lunchbox on the b-side and also the live version of Coming Up. Still no real knowledge of The Beatles music apart from the Let It Be album and what I knew from the radio. So, with the 'advantage' of diving into this totally blind and open, I loved this album straight away. Paul himself has a childlike approach to it all. Temporary Secretary was my favourite from the beginning and still is to this day. Darkroom was my other big fave and still is my 2nd fave to this day! Everything else is still great in all their differing weird and wonderful ways.

I recently came across the bootleg of the 'missing McCartney II' or whatever they call it. People say "oh it would have been an amazing double album" but no I think it would degrade the album so much that no one would ever want to listen to it. No one would ever listen to Coming Up or Waterfalls or One Of These Days or On The Way if they have to endure 20 minutes of Secret Friend or All You Horseriders. Sometimes demos are left in vaults for good reason! I feel the proponents of people with these ideas actually don't like the album in the first place. The same argument is often applied to Red Rose Speedway and all the outtakes could have made a double album - the problem is, it just dilutes the punchbowl (and not with just water if you get my drift!).

McCartney II is still a charming and engaging album. Not everyone's cup of tea - either you like it or hate it. For me, it will stick with me forever.

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 08:11:16 am »

Yeah! I still feel that way. People generally see it as Paul's most experimental album and would prefer it with the bonus tracks that came with the remastered version and make it even more 'out there' than the original album. My pick of those bonus tracks would be Mr H Atom, but it's not so much the synth noodling going on, but more of a straightforward punk/new wave song. Sort of a continuation of the 'Old Siam Sir' vibe on Back to the Egg.

Overall, 'Darkroom' and 'Temporary Secretary' are still my faves!

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 03:22:27 pm »

Love "Temporary Secretary" and also "One of These Days"......I try to imagine The Beatles playing "Nobody Knows". It works because Macca delivers the different parts in slightly differing styles.

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 11:04:22 am »

'One of These Days' is such a beaut of a track. The shimmering vocal track is the perfect treatment for that arrangement. It doesn't need more than that.

Another underrated one is 'On The Way'. Paul's electric guitar playing is sublime on this.. such an earthy bluesy feel to it, much in the mould of Eric Clapton - and the drums have a great feel behind it all - just as he did all that superb drumming on Band on the Run - this ranks up there with those earlier Wings performances and the first McCartney album as far as drums go.

Notice though, on the remaster where they feature some of the original Macca II songs completely unedited, and you can see they'd been edited for a reason - the drums would suddenly get sloppy and miss a beat or something, or Paul ad-libs a vocal line that doesn't take it anywhere, or there may be an extra verse with relative impotence compared to the rest of the song. Paul made some wise decisions editing those songs - and Coming Up of course became a number 1 hit worldwide. Would it had been the same hit had it been the full 5-and-a-half minute unedited full version? I don't think so. Paul has such an innate ability to pinpoint what works and what doesn't.. something he must have inherited from George Martin!  8)   

Greg

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 11:22:01 am »

Yes there are some good songs on that album.  That was released at a time when Paul could do no wrong with me.  I was happy to hear that record when it came out.   

I was such a Wings fan though that I kind of missed the Wings sound on that record.  But, like McCartney 1 , that record started a new solo career for him after departing from his old band.

It would be so beautiful to see him do One of These Days or On The Way in concert.  He should do a "Hardcore McCartney Fan" tour where he tells everyone that he is only doing obscure songs from his post-Beatle career.  ..and no Beatle songs.  I would go to great lengths to see that tour.

How 'bout a little San Ferry Anne or Denny joins for Again and Again and Again?

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 03:33:07 pm »

As would I! 8)

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 08:15:37 pm »

As would I! 8)
And ditto!

Though, I remember reading (last year) an interview with Billy Joel and his plan to play entire concerts with no 'hits' whatsoever - just deep cuts from his albums, and that way he wouldn't feel the need to write new songs as the songs will feel brand new in their own way, having never been done before (or for decades) on stage.

But seeing him on YouTube this year, it seems he's reverted to just doing the hits. That's okay, I must say I was really pleased to hear him performing the songs in their original keys and his voice still sounding great. I just wonder what sort of pressure these guys must be under to not feel like a human jukebox (which was Robert Plant's recent explanation as to why he is no longer keen on another Led Zeppelin reunion).. or whether their final setlist decisions are governed by the crowd reactions and would rather not risk moments of dead air in their set!  :-X

Greg

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 10:00:38 pm »

Billy Joel deep cuts and Paul deep cuts are different for me as prob all of us.  Good for Billy to consider that though.

The human jukebox thing is so interesting.  I have been in bands for 35 years and have never succumbed to that.  I will not play the fav songs of what I think people want to hear.  There's no Brown Eyed Girl, Sweet Home Alabama, BTO, Eagles, Roadhouse Blues, etc. 

I do wonder what Paul thinks at this point.  I will never forget this one line in Anthology.  He said,  "It's the bloody Beatles' White Album.  Shut up"

To me it's like..."It's Paul McCartney.  Shut up."  He should play what the heck he wants.  Especially because he's in his 70's. 

To me he really has become Paul Sinatra in many ways. But I'm not sure he is doing it his way.

EDIT:  After thinking about it I would have to say that Billy Joel's deep cuts really could be kind of cool.  They are really good.  He is an all-time great.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 10:03:01 pm by Greg »

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 10:56:17 pm »

Haha why can't your band come play at my town! That's all they seem to play here (the likes of Brown Eyed Girl, Sweet Home Alabama, Proud Mary etc). I think bands in general have more fire and energy and come across better when they are purely playing what they want to play, rather than just what the audience wants to hear. I remember that bit in the History of The Eagles blu ray documentary where, on the night of the concert, backstage, Glenn Frey fired Randy Meisner on the spot because he refused to sing the lead on 'Take It To The Limit' one more time (*cough*). These kinds of situations can cause real division in the decision-making process for bands. There's a list on the internet somewhere of the bands that eventually refused to play their biggest hits live. 'Creep' by Radiohead for example. Nirvana stopped playing 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' near the time Kurt died. The Beastie Boys always hated 'Fight For Your Right To Party'. Same with Led Zep and 'Stairway To Heaven'. Tis a funny business!

Yeah, re. Billy Joel, one of my favourite albums of his is the 'Songs In The Attic' live album. Some of the standout tracks are Los Angelenos and Streetlife Serenader - this would be the equivalent of Macca doing say, 'To You' from Back To The Egg and 'Back Seat of My Car' from Ram - how amazing would that be! Come to think of it though.. 'Back Seat' would be pretty high to sing!

Keri

• Music from under my skin
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2014, 12:37:47 am »

I like this album, it doesn't feel as home made as the original McCartney, but it's pretty quirky. Temporary secretary, Darkroom & Bogey Music are a lot of fun. Front Parlour is a cool little experiment with a gorgeous little tune. I am a sucker for Waterfalls my favourite on the album it just seems such a beautiful little pop song with such a stripped down arrangement.

I also agree artists shouldn't just do their hits, make new music and play it, move things around, do re arrangements. If you want to hear it just like the record get the record.