letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: Came across this neat Sean & Charlotte interview  (Read 2570 times)

kylenz

• Email
Came across this neat Sean & Charlotte interview
« on: July 15, 2014, 05:38:55 am »

http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/entertainment/articles/2014-05/23/sean-lennon-interview-goastt

This bit cracked me up - love the banter between these two (for more of that, look up their Amoeba Music 'What's In My Bag' YouTube clip!)

What was the best record in your parent's collection growing up?
CKM: My parents had a lot of folk and classical. I'm sure Sean had an amazing record collection.
SL: My dad listened to a lot of Elvis.
CKM: That's funny. You don't really give a s*** about Elvis.
;D

Greg

Re: Came across this neat Sean & Charlotte interview
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 10:46:35 am »

That was a great quote.  I do respect Sean.  It's amazing he's relatively sane.  He's not that talented and there-before-John's-legend-goes-Sean.  But he's trying something different and has developed some unique stuff. 

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 11:44:08 pm »

That was a great quote.  I do respect Sean.  It's amazing he's relatively sane.  He's not that talented and there-before-John's-legend-goes-Sean.  But he's trying something different and has developed some unique stuff.

I would beg to differ and say 'Midnight Sun' is the best album made by anyone this year; and not only that, it is a better album than anything Julian has done, and it's better than Mind Games, better than Some Time in New York City, better than Walls and Bridges, and only a notch below Double Fantasy. And some of the melodies on that album are so ornate, I don't think John would've been capable of coming up with similar hooks himself. I think that's the Charlotte influence coming in there though. She likes exploring different progressions and different directions.

And I also think he is a way better guitar player than John.

Greg

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 12:26:05 am »

Well I just listened to that new one.  Goastt?  It's really something.  I haven't heard him in a couple years.  What a great album.  She also seems to be contributing quite a bit on this stuff.  I had no idea he was doing such great stuff these days. Wow. 

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 01:44:57 am »

It's a real eye-opener eh! That first single 'Animals' would have to be one of the best songs I've heard in a long time. There's another track on it 'Poor Paul Getty' that Macca got to hear (was very much in a McCartney style) and he was reportedly really impressed.

This is my fave version of Animals.. they did a really great rendition on Letterman but this is even better! And Charlotte's bass playing is superb. She does all these little runs that Macca would be proud of.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97cTgz-OQ0g

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 01:58:17 am »

Found a live performance of 'Poor Paul Getty' - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VDxLP4Es4Y - it's like a mixture of Paul McCartney and Syd Barrett - very little of his father's influence on there at all I reckon. I don't think John would've been one to put in all those strange modulations and tricky time signature changes. But it's good stuff!

Greg

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 09:39:59 am »

Wow.  Great, great.  He seems to have found a niche where his talent lies.  Charlotte is a great partner for him.  They make a great duo.  I just read the RS Review, and it does not do this album justice.  It should have sung more praises for this album (Midnight Sun). 

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 08:03:54 am »

It's the kind of album I haven't played to death, but not because I don't like it. The last few new releases I've bought (like Macca's 'New' for example) get thrashed and eventually untouched. So in Midnight Sun's case, I'm just bringing it out every now and then and it feels fresh every time. The only thing I don't like about it, is the mastering of the album. Way too loud - that even the drums in the mix are distorted. But I guess that's just a sign of the times.

I love following their progress on YouTube - there are so many live performances filmed in HD, it's such a blessing to be in an age where we can just tune into that and enjoy it. I like to download the clips onto USB sticks and play them direct thru the big TV. You feel like you are really there.  :D