letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: You Got Any Obscure Beatle or Solo Memories?  (Read 1290 times)

Greg

You Got Any Obscure Beatle or Solo Memories?
« on: July 17, 2014, 11:01:41 am »

I remember playing pinball at Flipper Magee's pinball hall with Band on the Run playing constantly in the winter of 73-74.  Used to go to Flipper's almost everyday.  Helen Wheels I really liked.  Good pinball song.  Vandebilt.  I remember liking that.  Now this is funny; I don't even remember Bluebird, and I must have heard it 100 times back then.

I worked at a laundry in '76 and would play Ram during all my shifts.  That's all the customers could listen to...me playing Ram on my tape recorder!

Me liking London Town at the same time I was enamored with the Pistols and Clash.  It was almost like, "Hey...that's my friend Paul...he's alright...he's coming with us." 
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 11:03:32 am by Greg »

Mervap

• Administrator
Re: You Got Any Obscure Beatle or Solo Memories?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 06:06:10 pm »

This one time, at band camp....

Seriously, I recall being in the chow line at band camp and there was music in the dining hall....someone asked me if I'd heard McCartney's new song. I admitted that I had not, but about a minute later (still in line), my friend yelled, "This is it! The new Paul song!" It was "Take It Away" from "Tug of War". When I got home from camp, I went down to Turtle's Records and Tapes and asked my buddy Jack to play the whole album. I bought it then and there.
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

Greg

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 08:32:17 pm »

Thank you.  I love stories like that.

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 12:02:08 am »

I have a memory of my 6th birthday back in February 1980. I got the 45 of 'Goodnight Tonight' and 'Daytime Nighttime Suffering' for my birthday present. Anyway, we had a birthday party and all my childhood friends back then were invited. I put the 45 on the record player in the garage and played Goodnight Tonight. But when I flipped it and played Daytime Nighttime Suffering, I remember it got a really great reaction. Everyone seemed to like the song, perhaps moreso than the A-side. Little kids can be a great barometer of good taste - they will know if a song is any good or not.

It soon became one of my favourite songs, and it wasn't the first time I preferred a Macca B-side over an A. There was 'Soily' (always played that much more than the live version of Maybe I'm Amazed), and 'Girls School' was hammered much much more than Mull Of Kintyre (not that I didn't like Mull, it just seemed I tended to gravitate to uptempo rock songs more as a young kid). A bit like the end theme of WKRP in Cincinnati.. the beginning theme is nice, but it's that blast of hard-n-heavy rock at the end that knocked my socks off!  :D