Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: Ram  (Read 2788 times)

Mervap

• Administrator
Ram
« on: April 06, 2013, 03:36:05 pm »

I've always considered "Ram" to be Paulie's "White Album". On no other Macca album will one find as wide a diversity in styles coupled with such an unbridled sense of adventure. Of course, many Macca albums have a wide range of song styles, but "Ram" has a roughness in production that reminds me of the "White Album".

The only tune that ever gets skipped on this CD is the first "Ram On", not so much because it's weak but I enjoy "Dear Boy" so much.
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

chris

• Email
Re: Ram
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 08:45:11 pm »

always loved this one. but I didn't realize how much till I heard the remastered version. his vocals are at top form. his melodies are as lush as they've ever been. dear boy rocked my world. uncle albert has this weird whimsy to it. too many people? is it about john? I seem to think so. and evidently, so did john. this album...is now my absolute favorite paulie moment.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I've got to get a belly full of wine...

Keri

• Music from under my skin
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 04:25:48 am »

Love your enthusiasm for this Chris, I'm there with you.

chris

• Email
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 09:05:19 pm »

one thing I noticed for the first time...was that every song on ram (and it's bonus songs) featured paul doing an instrumental part...with his mouth. I knew about this before...I mean, I was aware this album had a bit of that. in a way it's something he's always done. but this album actually has this characteristic.

it's just another day, do do do do do

and fuhdufahdah...
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I've got to get a belly full of wine...

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 04:50:52 pm »

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 08:24:54 pm »

Great album...nuff said  ;D

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 10:43:47 am »

Sometimes when I don't listen to a particular Macca album, strange things pop up. I was re-visiting RAM for the first time in a bit, and I was struck by this thought: There are so many things about this album that are different from almost every other McCartney CD. It was recorded in New York City.....It's billed as Paul & Linda McCartney.....Far as I know, the only time Paul used Hugh McCracken on a recording(he was later to play on Lennon's last CD, "Double Fantasy". His whole approach, indeed, seemed like he was insulated from expectations, though certainly this wasn't the case.....like he didn't care what the critics would think. He would not make another record in this manner again until, perhaps, The Fireman, and then not nearly as tuneful.

Keri

• Music from under my skin
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2021, 04:33:33 am »

I enjoyed this video which makes the claim RAM is the first indie pop album, it's certainly an enjoyable appreciation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRZHvvYsc5w

the same guy interviews Denny Seiwell the drummer on RAM, and he makes some interesting comments about creating the album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx4Lgf-nmKA

It is funny now that RAM received such a negative initial critical response and now is pretty widely revered, it doesn't have the kind of well crafterd classic songs that Paul created with the Beatles but it is such a well made and joyful album, for me it is always a top contender for the best McCartney album and with it he created something really new and individual.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 06:15:22 pm by Keri »