letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: Londontown  (Read 3075 times)

Mervap

• Administrator
Londontown
« on: April 06, 2013, 03:40:07 pm »

This album gets forgotten easily, at least with myself. Better than its predecessor, but failing to reach the heights of Wings' best output, the making of this album was rife with distractions...The Maccas had a baby and 2/5 of the group quit in the interim. Having said that, the record has a surprising continuity....no real wild swings and misses. There were a couple of hit singles, sales were respectable....there was just really nothing exceptional on this album, to my ears. Late 70's production values sometimes tend to sound thin to me....even the rockers on this one lack power. "With a Little Luck" was a fine single and "I've Had Enough" was fun (my fave from this set)..."Name and Address" would have sounded right at home on "Run Devil Run"..."Cafe On the Left Bank" is kinda euro-disco, but still cool...outside of these, the rest of the album is very, well, likeable.
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

Keri

• Music from under my skin
Re: Londontown
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 03:48:17 am »

Yeah not a bad album, I love the title track, an excellent slice of imaginary English life. There are other songs that i like quite well. Cafe on the Left bank, I'm Carrying, backwards traveller, I'm even partial to Girlfriend, With a little luck is good, but as a whole the album feels a bit limp. It's got a sleepy charm, but thankfully Paul still had plenty in his tank and he subsequently made some more good albums.

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 08:20:45 pm »

Another I don't own.

Roger

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 09:35:56 pm »

Another I don't own.

i can send you a copy. you might like it.

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 09:47:48 pm »

Hehe thanks  ;) No, I've heard it of course.....I really like the album version of With A Little Luck and as merv mentioned, I've Had Enough is a dandy rocker....but the rest is pretty forgettable. Who know who I was into at the time and this just slid past me. This is 1978 right...ok...now I know....I was in love with Kate Bush at the time. No wonder I left Paul haha  ;D

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 08:38:11 am »

This album has a lot of sentimental value for me, having been a fan of it since I was 4 or 5 years old, this album is in my blood.

The title track is such a great song, but the underrated ones are on Side 2 and have a folky feel - 'Don't Let It Bring You Down', and 'Deliver Your Children' - magic stuff. I also love 'Backwards Traveller' - short and succinct and so great, the way it segues into 'Cuff Link' - such a great and underrated instrumental.

Greg

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 08:11:14 pm »

Released during a punk rock era, yet I loved it and still do.  I wish With A little Luck had been a single and left off the album.  I love the song, but I don't want to hear it on that album.  Plus it's too long on the album for me.

It is also in my blood as I was 17 or 18 at the time.  I can't figure out why that isn't a "great album".  Possibly because I am so biased towards Paul and his 70s albums that he could do no wrong with me.  To me this is a great album.

If I were to think about it more I could probably figure what what needed to be added or left off. 

If he were to ever have Denny on stage there would be some songs on this album that would have to be done.

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 04:42:21 am »

That's a really good point about 'With A Little Luck'. I agree. I think the album version drags on a bit and meanders, but the edited single version is perfect.

'I've Had Enough' is a great rocker. A precursor to 'Old Siam Sir' on Back to the Egg, they have a new wave swagger that fits in nicely with the likes of The Stranglers, The Buzzcocks etc..

Greg

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 09:06:52 am »

Yes, Paul's voice on Old Siam is indescribably good.  He is screaming, but he is about 37 years old and has smoked half his life.  His voice has a little bit more gravel to it than the younger Paul.

The squeaking fingers on I'm Carrying are one of my favorite things in that great song.  (I think George said he loved this song. ???)

The bridge on Girlfriend is really cool.

Can you imagine The Beatles recording I've Had Enough for inclusion on the White Album?  That song would have been even better.  George's guitar would have been unbelievable.

It is morning now and, after having thought about it, I might have made London Town a more acoustic album.  Looking back on it I would have recorded the title track without that keyboard.  I would also remove Girlfriend and replaced it with another song.  Maybe finish Backwards Traveler.  Also, that crappy keyboard/synth stuff is clouding Cafe On The Left Bank.  He should have pushed the fader up on the electric guitar instead.

None of that happened of course because I was not contacted at any time, for any input, prior to Paul releasing the album.  ...and it's not like I was hard to find.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 09:37:07 am by Greg »

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 07:31:41 am »

The squeaking fingers on I'm Carrying are one of my favorite things in that great song.  (I think George said he loved this song. ???)

Wow that's really cool, I never knew that!  :D

Girlfriend is a top song, so much so that Michael Jackson covered it for his 'Off The Wall' album, and you know what? I still think Macca nailed it better. It should've been more in MJ's wheelhouse but I think Macca's outclassed it in all respects - even in the falsetto. And yet Off The Wall has 'Don't Stop Til You Get Enough' and 'Rock With You', both outclassing most of what's on London Town. Overall I think LT is a far better album, more consistent.

You're right, it would've been better as a more acoustic-based album rather than some of those synth-led songs that just sound a little thin (Cafe on the Left Bank you're right, needed a bit more grunt and a little less of the disco feel, but hey it is what it is, and it's still bloody good!). Famous Groupies is another good acoustic song.. superior to the likes of Rocky Raccoon on the White Album in my opinion.