letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: Driving Rain  (Read 2598 times)

Mervap

• Administrator
Driving Rain
« on: April 06, 2013, 03:43:26 pm »

Here are two reviews of this CD I put on the old site....incidentally, if any of you wish to move your old reviews here for posterity's sake, feel free to do so!
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

Mervap

• Administrator
Re: Driving Rain
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 03:43:49 pm »

It's strange...this one still puzzles me. There are some good songs on here....the production is good....there is some experimentation going on....and still I don't care for this one. For the majority of this album, Macca sounds like a guest on someone else's CD.

High points include the experimental "She's Given Up Talking", the wonderfully melodic "Heather" and the scruffy "Lonely Road"....the rest seems kind of.....ok.

A noteable exception is the obviously jammed "Rinse the Raindrops"....The middle section where Abe goes to the 16-beat style (at 2:43), the song really takes wing....that said, it's still just a jam, but a fun one all the same.

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 03:44:17 pm »

Wow, it's hard to believe it has been 2 years almost since I posted a terse review for this CD...my opinion has mellowed a little bit, but I have to admit that I thought this album was a wrong direction for Macca and I thought he would keep going down this road. My first listen made me kinda sad...as I was listening to "Your Loving Flame", which I felt was a great ballad in the Macca mold, I got to the first guitar solo. I should mention that songs create pictures in my head, which I'm sure they do for all of us, and this solo painted a sunset, with clouds near the horizon. As the sun was hidden temporarily behind the clouds, it got dark....then, as the sun hit the horizon, I was bathed in bright and warm sunshine one more time before the curve of the earth made it night again. I thought this CD was the beginning of the night for Macca. As it turned out, I was happily mistaken and his next two CDs were much better. Maybe in another two year's time, I will finally 'get' this one....
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 03:01:51 pm by Mervap »

Keri

• Music from under my skin
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 03:54:39 am »

The jury for me on this one is still out. I gave it another listen today & it was OK. I'd love to hear from someone that really loves it, but it's not me yet, like Merv, maybe in another 2 years.

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 08:33:09 pm »

This is pretty good...there are a few "skippers" which ruins the flow. That's probably why it doesn't get played much. She's Given Up Talking is probably the one I like best.

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 03:29:28 am »

I hold similar opinions to the rest of you! There are a couple of tunes I like.. but for some reason it's not one of my favourite Macca albums. I remember posting a scathing review of this on another board many years ago and every member jumped down my throat about it.. my position has since mellowed but I'm still not mad-crazy on it.

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 06:29:32 pm »

I was listening to this one again today and I think I've hit upon a solution as to why this one has puzzled me. Many of the tunes on here might have fit better on a Fireman CD....might just be me tho.

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 08:48:44 pm »

I still laugh at the "Heather Mills- Arrangement"  credit.  :)

Paul's sock drawer perhaps?  ;)