letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: RIP Robin Williams  (Read 1767 times)

Mervap

• Administrator
RIP Robin Williams
« on: August 11, 2014, 08:54:10 pm »

If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

kylenz

• Email
Re: RIP Robin Williams
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 09:35:19 pm »

In a way, it wasn't surprising, knowing his struggles with depression and drugs etc. But what does surprise me, is that he would do what he did knowing that his roles were often filled with pearls of wisdom and offering guidance to those in need. Think of 'carpe diem' in Dead Poets Society, Patch Adams, Good Will Hunting etc. It just goes to show that no matter how well-equipped you are with knowledge and inspiration to help others, the black dog can still sneak up and get you.

So what were your favourite Robin Williams movies? Mine would probably be Bicentennial Man - a narrative that spanned multiple generations and so dealt with loss on a massive scale - all he wanted in the end, was to be mortal. It was an emotive experience for me seeing this robot that couldn't cope with living forever.

Another that had me in tears in the theatre, was What Dreams May Come. Just an amazing picture. I haven't seen it for years but would love to watch it on blu ray one day.

And 'Mork & Mindy' was a huge part of my childhood. Funny thing is, I was watching them in recent months on YouTube, having not seen them in over 30 years. One of the first books I remember enjoying as a child, was a picture book of the opening episode of Mork & Mindy, in paperback form. It would've been around the same time that I began listening to Wings records!

Derek

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 10:15:54 am »

this is sad! i loved Mork in my childhood and his films. there was a time when i grew tired around the late 80s (88-96) it seems but after that his interest made a powerful comeback! i can envision a segment now, that every movie/tv charecter Robin Williams (like Mork, [Duh!] the Russian who defected in "Moscow On The Hudson", the DJ in "Good Morning Vietnam", the teacher in "Dead Poet's Society", Alladen's Genie, "Mrs Doughtfire", etc) ever played are all standing before Orsen (God) giving thier report. :(
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 10:18:41 am by Derek »

Greg

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 02:18:35 pm »

I remember the beginning of his career.  Mork was huge when we were in high school.

I didn't like seeing his interviews on Carson or Letterman because I didn't think he was funny, but as an actor I thought he should have won multiple Oscar's.
I just loved him as an actor.

Fisher King is my favorite movie of his.

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 07:02:15 pm »

Wow, I haven't seen The Fisher King for what must be well over 20 years. That had Jeff ('The Dude') Bridges, right? From what I remember of that film it was wonderful. Terry Gilliam directed it, if I remember correct.

Greg

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 10:28:53 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHaZuRo3DZ4

Yeah.  84 and 86 on Rotten Tomatoes.

Keri

• Music from under my skin
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 03:27:22 am »

Another that had me in tears in the theatre, was What Dreams May Come. Just an amazing picture. I haven't seen it for years but would love to watch it on blu ray one day.

This is one of my favourite movies, it is so ambitious, it will probably be seen as even more powerful now as it deals with the theme of suicide. Vincent Ward is a true visionary, this is one film that takes you on a journey from Earth through Heaven and Hell, I think it's safe to say Robin Williams has been through all that. I wish him all the best.

Derek

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 07:35:44 am »

i found something someone posted, i wish i could remember his name. but someone had a similar vision as i did. this is the way i will always remember and envision him. it was almost as if Mork was in all these movie charecters:

Mork calling Orsen, Mork calling Orsen, please come in.

YES, MORK, WHAT DO YOU NEED?

Oh! Really nothing your Excellency, it's just that this will be my final transmission from Earth, sir.

YOUR FINAL TRANSMISSION MORK? ARE YOU COMING HOME?

Why yes sir, I am. I've dwelt with these humans for most of my life and according to their earthly definition of success, I've managed to achieve just that! After a successful TV run of Mork and Mindy, I've also cone into contact with other humans who have put me in their film making episodes. Some of these films are,
The Night Listener (2006)
stars as Gabriel Noone

R.V. (2006)
stars as Bob Munro

Everyone's Hero (2006)
stars as Napoleon Cross (voice)

Man of the Year (2006)
stars as Tom Dobbs

Night at the Museum (2006)
stars as Teddy Roosevelt

Robots (2005) aka Robots: The IMAX Experience
stars as Fender

House of D (2004)
stars as Pappass

The Final Cut (2004) aka The final Cut - Dein Tod ist erst der Anfang (Germany: DVD title)
stars as Alan Hakman

Death to Smoochy (2002) aka Tötet Smoochy (Germany)
stars as 'Rainbow' Randolph Smiley

One Hour Photo (2002)
stars as Sy Parrish

Insomnia (2002)
stars as Walter Finch

Artificial Intelligence: AI (2001) aka A.I. Artificial Intelligence
stars as Dr. Know

Bicentennial Man (1999) aka 200 Jahre Mann, Der (Germany)
stars as Andrew Martin

Jakob the Liar (1999) aka Jakob le menteur (France)
stars as Jakob Heym/Narrator

What Dreams May Come (1998)
stars as Chris Nielsen

Patch Adams (1998)
stars as Hunter 'Patch' Adams

Aladdin's Math Quest (1998) - VG aka Disney's Math Quest with Aladdin (USA)
stars as Blue Genie (voice)

Great Minds Think for Themselves (1997) - TV
stars as The Genie (voice)

Good Will Hunting (1997)
stars as Sean Maguire

Flubber (1997) aka Disney's Flubber: The Absent Minded Professor
stars as Professor Philip Brainard

Deconstructing Harry (1997)
stars as Mel

Fathers' Day (1997)
stars as Dale Putley

Hamlet (1996) aka William Shakespeare's Hamlet
stars as Osric

The Secret Agent (1996) aka Joseph Conrad's The Secret Agent
stars as The Professor

Aladdin and the King of Thieves (1996) - VI
stars as Blue Genie

Jack (1996)
stars as Jack Powell

The Birdcage (1996) aka Birds of a Feather
stars as Armand Goldman

To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything! Julie Newmar (1995)
stars as John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt

Nine Months (1995)
stars as Dr. Kosevich

Jumanji (1995)
stars as Alan Parrish

In Search of Dr. Seuss (1994) - TM
stars as The Father

Being Human (1993)
stars as Hector

Mrs. Doubtfire (1993)
stars as Daniel Hillard/Mrs. Euphegenia Doubtfire

Shakes the Clown (1992)
stars as Mime Jerry

FernGully: The Last Rainforest (1992) aka FernGully 1
stars as Batty Koda

From Time to Time (1992) aka Timekeeper
stars as Timekeeper

Aladdin (1992)
stars as The Blue Genie of the Lamp/Merchant

Toys (1992)
stars as Leslie Zevo

Dead Again (1991)
stars as Doctor Cozy Carlisle

Hook (1991)
stars as Peter Banning/Peter Pan

The Fisher King (1991)
stars as Henry Sagan, 'Parry'

A Wish for Wings That Work (1991) - TM
stars as The Kiwi (voice)

Awakenings (1990)
stars as Dr. Malcolm Sayer

Cadillac Man (1990)
stars as Joey O'Brien

Dead Poets Society (1989)
stars as John Keating

Portrait of a White Marriage (1988)
stars as Air Conditioning Salesman

The Adventures of Baron Munchausen (1988) aka Abenteuer des Baron von Münchhausen, Die (West Germany)
stars as King of the Moon

Good Morning, Vietnam (1987)
stars as A2C Adrian Cronauer

The Best of Times (1986)
stars as Jack Dundee

Club Paradise (1986)
stars as Jack Moniker

Seize the Day (1986)
stars as Tommy Wilhelm

Moscow on the Hudson (1984)
stars as Vladimir Ivanoff

The Survivors (1983)
stars as Donald Quinelle

Mork & Mindy/Laverne & Shirley/Fonz Hour (1982) - TV
stars as Mork (voice)

The World According to Garp (1982)
stars as T. S. Garp

Popeye (1980)
stars as Popeye

Andy Kaufman Plays Carnegie Hall (1979) - VI
stars as Andy's Grandmother

Mork & Mindy (1978) - TV
stars as Mork

Laugh-In (1977) - TV and my latest series called the Crazy Ones, which only lasted one season, but which I was profoundly grateful to be a member of. I've learned that laughter here on Earth is the best medicine to cope with derision, hate, sadness and a host of other emotions found among these delightful people who have enriched my life here. Interesting that for the same reasons Orsen you expelled me from my home planet of Ork for exhibiting humor there, this humor has allowed me to even experience the most prized of human emotions called love.

LOVE? PLEASE EXPLAIN.

Certainly your Greatness. Love is a powerful emotion here on Earth that permeates every facet of existence on this tiny but beautiful planet, so full of life. People here strive to attain it and even hurt each other over their obsession to possess love.

HMMMM... A WORTHY WORLD WORTH OUR EFFORTS TO PRESERVE.

Yes, your Excellency. A beautiful planet that despite its petty outbreaks of hate here and there for the most part is the only one we've found so far capable of generating beautiful and many variations of life.
But now my time is at hand Orsen, to leave this Earthly existence. My life has been full and with purpose, despite my body being subject to aging and disease that come to all here eventually. My existence is now come to it's end here and it's time for me to go home.

YES, MORK, IT'S TIME TO COME HOME NOW, YOUR WORK THERE ON EARTH IS FINISHED. ARE YOU READY AFTER ALL THESE YEARS TO FINALLY COME HOME?

Yes, Orsen, I'm ready. All channels closed, and frequency set for my final journey home. Nanu-nanu, my friends I leave behind. Mork signing off.