letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: Could this be 'Carnival Of Light'?  (Read 1667 times)

kylenz

• Email
Could this be 'Carnival Of Light'?
« on: August 17, 2014, 06:18:15 pm »

http://www.elsewhere.co.nz/fromthevaults/6523/the-beatles-carnival-of-light-perhaps-1967/

What do you think guys? It's so dark and almost demonic-sounding, it makes stuff like Interstellar Overdrive from contemporaries sound like Doris Day in comparison!

Mervap

• Administrator
Re: Could this be 'Carnival Of Light'?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 07:59:34 pm »

I hope not.....I mean, I'm not looking for a classic, but that was not even in the same class as "Revolution 9". I tend to doubt it.
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 08:03:37 pm »

If that was it, it's certainly quite atmospheric.. the way the ghostly vocals come through. Agree though, not in the class of Rev 9 but (if it is it)  - it's quite a radical sound. Very slowed-down and distorted.

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 08:21:48 am »

Here's the thing for me, if we're gonna compare it to Rev. 9 - so many Beatles fans struggle to come to grips with Revolution 9, right? Yet in it's own way, Rev 9 is semi-accessible as a musical piece through knowing which part comes next, all the loops stitched together become 'hooks' in their own right. If this is the real Carnival Of Light, there's nothing like that. It's like a slowed down, distorted ambient wash, with occasional vocal choral sounds coming through. There's nothing for the listening public at large to 'hang their hat on'. But if this is it, it serves its purpose as a background soundtrack for a one-off psychedelic public event. It would've been a heck of a night!

Greg

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 07:02:53 pm »

The Carnival issue is one aspect of Beatlemania that I know practically nothing about except for its legend.

My only comment is that I really like the song on that site you linked to.  Thanks for finding it.

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 12:48:22 am »

Continuing on the trail of the hunt for COL, some are saying this clip is a convincing fake, if not the real thing - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9iOkz_5X-I

..at the end you can hear 'can we hear it back now', which according to Mark Lewisohn, is uttered at the end of the original tape.

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 02:18:48 am »

Second time round, I'm really digging that second track! And I can hear 'BARCELONA' (@2.30), which adds to the authenticity of the recording..

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 07:51:05 am »

..although I'm not hearing the
"schmaltzy cinema organ, snatches of jangling pub piano and electronic feedback with Lennon shouting 'Electricity!'"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnival_of_Light

..hence, the search continues :(