letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: George Martin Beatle Question  (Read 1305 times)

Greg

George Martin Beatle Question
« on: September 01, 2014, 12:57:53 pm »

Is it the case that George Martin was pretty-much forced to sign/work with The Beatles by Len Wood?

Mervap

• Administrator
Re: George Martin Beatle Question
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 06:38:26 pm »

I've never read that anywhere....I will research that. Is that in Lewisohn's book?
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 04:54:12 pm »

I got the Mark Lewisohn book for my birthday and I haven't gotten to that period yet. I did listen to the audiobook on youtube and it does appear that this is so.
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

rory storm

• Email
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 08:58:55 am »

I do know that previous to his work with the Fabs,Martin was actually doing comedy records with Peter Sellers and other members of the Goon Squad,a popular English troupe in the days before Monty Python and Benny Hill.It certainly must have seemed an odd pairing at first,but what a wonderful professional marriage it eventually would be.As John Lennon once said,the Beatles taught the classically trained Martin about rock and roll while Martin tutored them about the complexities of the recording studio.If this Len Wood did indeed force Martin to work with them,I'm sure the Mark Lewinsohn book would have the best chance of mentioning it.Lewisohn's knowledge of the band's history is absolutely staggering......................