letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: The John Lennon Letters  (Read 1572 times)

Keri

• Music from under my skin
The John Lennon Letters
« on: August 31, 2014, 05:34:45 am »

Having finished read Mark Lewisohn's Beatle Biography Tune In, it felt too much like cold turkey to abandon Beatle reading, so I got The John Lennon Letters, ordering it online for a very good price $18 which is cheaper than most paper backs. It's a beautifully presented book, most of the letters are really short but there are lots of amusing drawings and words and there are some longer letters towards the end.

I haven't been a great fan of John's solo work in recent years, but this book took me on a good trip, a thoroughly fascinating man, so important to the Beatles. As I read I played John's solo work on random play, to me there isn't one album of his that i really love, but funnily I find random play really helps with John, it seems to get to his personality, he wasn't so much an album man, his letters bounce all over the place and are wonderfully playful, so it suits playing his music that way.

It was really sad when he was shot, weird too, as he had started to feel unsafe and was paranoid that his phone was being tapped by the FBI (which it was). What a world!

A good book, an amazing man, it's still sad to me that he's gone. God bless you John.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 02:53:14 pm by Keri »

Greg

Re: The John Lennon Letters
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 07:35:53 am »

Is there a letter, after reading all those, that stands out for some reason?

Keri

• Music from under my skin
Re: The John Lennon Letters
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 04:40:25 pm »

There are some that stand out, one to Linda for the controversy, but I love how he would sometimes see letters in the paper or articles and write to the person, known or unknown. The ones to Derek Taylor are cool because they're wonderfully weird and playful and incomprehensible. There are also nice ones to his relatives, it's cool to see he still felt that connection with them, enjoyable letters too.