letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: Wings Over America  (Read 3091 times)

kylenz

• Email
Wings Over America
« on: May 28, 2013, 07:48:16 am »

I was surfing around Facebook and this came up on my news feed:

http://www.uncut.co.uk/paul-mccartney-and-wings-wings-over-america-review

Well, whoever wrote this panders to the populist opinion that Wings were, and still is, uncool. I was so annoyed with the way they just basically swept the album under the carpet whilst focusing on a few highlights to give the impression that they still respect The Beatles legacy somewhat, but I bet if push comes to shove they'd rather review a John Lennon reissue instead, or a Stones album, or something with a bit more 'reviewer cred'. Anyway, here's what I wrote in reply on the Uncut facebook page:

*Dislike* - this review is terrible. How can you say that the WOA is let down by the 'album track dross' that Wings put out, and then go on to say that the album is saved by the sprinkling of Beatle tracks on it - which were in effect only 'album tracks' on Beatle albums (I've Just Seen A Face, Blackbird). I think the review does a severe disservice to Wings' output by saying their hit singles like Jet were great, but the rest of the material on their albums were basically crap. WOA is well-regarded by Wings fans as having the ULTIMATE versions of Beware My Love, Letting Go and Time To Hide. I love Spirits of Ancient Egypt and yet the review paints it as 'pub rock dross'. This reviewer doesn't seem to appreciate 'Venus and Mars' and 'Wings at the Speed Of Sound' - the 2 albums this tour was set up to promote. The lavish box set was wasted on this reviewer, and should've been handled by an actual Wings fan.

I haven't listened to WOA for a wee while now, but I'm looking forward to the re-release and every song has its own charms and strengths. Even 'You Gave Me The Answer' sounds great live in my opinion.. something that you think wouldn't work in a 'rock concert' situation, but it does.

Anyone else looking forward to the remaster? Any thoughts on the Uncut review? Sure, he gave it 7/10 but it may as well be a 3, the way I see it. Really disappointed that the anti-Macca, the anti-schmaltz brigade is still alive and well in reviewing circles in 2013.  :-\

« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 07:52:52 am by kylenz »

lampie1970

• Email
Re: Wings Over America
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 08:35:15 am »

i am looking forward to the remaster for selfish reasons. my "soily" is skipping and i need a new CD. perfect timing ;)

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 09:18:18 am »

Reviewers are going extinct. They do a job that helps no one. NO ONE. The only place people get any kind of word of mouth on any band are on places like this...and Facebook of course. I don't think I've even bought music on the word of a reviewer. EVER.

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 10:03:37 am »

Best reviewer I ever knew worked at a place near me called Turtles Records & Tapes.....his name was Jack and he knew after a short conversation what I might like. He'd pop it onto the turntable and say something like, " Imagine a band made up of Paul McCartney and Syd Barrett..." and play me something new (at the time) like XTC. He didn't miss often.
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 11:44:01 am »

There used to be a guy who worked for a Toronto paper...he was the music reviewer.  Every time he reviewed an album, it was 90 percent wasted words. He'd go on about fishing when he was a kid....or some other story like that...and then say the story was somehow related to the music on the record. He never said how of course.

Then there a few critics on the Guardian website...they all pretty much have their heads up their bums. It's like they compare EVERYTHING to what Radiohead does. Oh...this sounds a bit like so and so from OK Computer. I mean...jeesh...I was hoping everyone could get past that sort of thing. I've had my whole life of every pop band being compared to the Beatles. Not that it's bad to be told you sound a bit like the Beatles of course....except it's usually a back handed insult. Sure...you sound a bit like them...but.... No wonder Paul tried his whole career to step away from the Beatle sound.

Wings Over America is a great live album. It's fully of really good songs and performances. Any reviewer who says differently has blinders on and should find a new job.

By the way...I wrote this with MY blinders off.  ;D

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 03:27:04 pm »

No wonder Paul tried his whole career to step away from the Beatle sound.

I remember around the time of "Flowers in the Dirt", there was a video interview with him where he said as much, adopting a kind of nasal hipster tone when he said, "oh....pastiche that sounds like the beatles....". He was talking about the Costello partnership and how they had to be careful, but finally said, "Great, man, it sounds like the Beatles! What could be more fun?" Loved that attitude...
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

lampie1970

• Email
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 04:08:26 pm »

my fed ex guy just gave me my WOA :D what a nice guy! lol

chris

• Email
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 07:48:51 pm »

it used to bother me that some critics...maybe many...wrote off paul and his solo career as being lightweight. it no longer does. in fact, i like the fact that i get paul's music whereas a critic who likes the stones may not. he does so many genres, and does them well. and he does them proudly. look...he could be coy abouy being shmaltzy...but he isn't. in fact, he does it proudly...and he owns it! he'll dare someone to be as melodic and shmaltzy as him and succeed.

and i don't write off some critics opinions like i may have before. some, as 2 pointed out, will compare everything to radiohead...or nirvana...or whomever. and that's fine. they're only being compared to some band or artist that touched them personally. but i do listen. a lot of non paul fans talked about how good flaming pie was. or MAF. it's like a food critic...just because a foody says he loves this restaurant doesn't mean you will...it only means he loves it. but if there are enough food critics who say this restaurant rocks...chances are i'm going to love it too. same with music...or movies.

this album does offer THE version of some songs you have to hear. his voice maybe at it's most capable. but any critic who says the album is saved by beatle songs is silly. there are so few actually...i think paul wanted to his solo work to stand on it's own. and like it or not...it does.

as to lampie's skipping soily...well...the cat in the satin trousers says it's oily...
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I've got to get a belly full of wine...

lampie1970

• Email
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013, 09:01:28 pm »

as to lampie's skipping soily...well...the cat in the satin trousers says it's oily...

you know he's right...

WOA has my fave version of "My Love" for instance....L-O-V-E that version ;)

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 04:33:09 am »

i am looking forward to the remaster for selfish reasons. my "soily" is skipping and i need a new CD. perfect timing ;)

My vinyl of WOA skips on the opening bars of 'Letting Go'. Probably because that was the side I played most of the whole album, so kept dropping the needle in that spot where the drums kick in at the beginning.