letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: Re-release of NEW  (Read 2037 times)

JennyWren

Re-release of NEW
« on: October 03, 2014, 08:01:13 am »

Hi, all.   Am wondering what you think of the new release of NEW later this month.  The new release has more tracks and also a DVD.  Although I welcome the opportunity to get more tracks and vids, I gotta admit I'm not happy about having to buy another copy of NEW.  I got it on the day of release last year, of course.   I totally love Macca, but I do get tired of his re-releasing of prior works....I can't afford to buy two or more copies of everything.  Sigh.

I wish instead of new releases of old stuff, he'd release new stuff.  I'd welcome, for example, an album (multi-disk set, of course) of the stuff that's only available as bootlegs.  That would be something!  ( :)  I hope you're all now singing along...."...that would be something, to meet you in the falling rain, momma, to meet you in the falling rain...")

2 of 3

• Email
Re: Re-release of NEW
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 08:27:36 am »

Yeah, I totally agree. A cd comes out. You buy it. Then a week later...Special Edition comes out with extra tracks. Then a Japanese Edition with more extra tracks.  Then a year later a Special Special Edition comes out. It's no wonder people steal music. Not me of course. :P

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 03:37:16 pm »

I WAS singing along! I agree.....or at least offer up three levels of CD commitment: Basic(just the album), advanced (album plus bonus tracks) and deluxe(all tracks plus DVD.
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 01:10:48 am »

I think this strategy of releasing 'deluxe' / 'super-deluxe' editions are killing off the already-precarious cd market. They should just release everything they have! Or release what is true to the artist's original context - no less, no more. The album should be *the album*.

I bought Kimbra's debut album 'Vows' on the day of release, and to be honest, the album falls a little flat. There are just not enough upbeat tracks on it, making it quite a dull affair. I was disappointed, after so much anticipation for it. However, a couple of months after this release, out came an 'American Edition', and in New Zealand this was branded the 'Deluxe' edition. It had the sizzling single 'Come Into My Head' and 'Posse' - suddenly Vows was brimming with upbeat tunes and making the album worth buying.

Unfortunately for me, I had already bitterly sold my original basic edition and then suddenly there was this great new re-release only a couple of months in. I felt quite ripped off. So you know what I did? I downloaded the new deluxe edition with zero guilt. No way was I going to pay for it twice.

As for the Macca re-release, I may need to do the same thing. As cool as NEW is, heck I'd say it's his best album since Flowers in the Dirt, maybe not far behind Tug of War.. but unless there's another album's worth of previously-unreleased material, I probably won't buy it. Unless the DVD is really worth getting.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 01:12:35 am by kylenz »

Keri

• Music from under my skin
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 04:18:14 pm »

I like New OK, but I'm happy with the original release, won't be getting this. There are back catalogue McCartney albums I'd rather get but aren't available: Tug of War & Back to the Egg.

I also don't like my CDs too long and often take off a CD when it gets to bonus tracks, I find they mess with the shape of the album 40 minutes is a good listening time.

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 05:20:05 pm »

Often times, one could just wait until Macca's next album to get the tracks that didn't make the cut on the newest one.....
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2014, 05:45:50 pm »

It really does take advantage of the super duper fans though. The one's that have to have everything by their favourite artist. I mean, you should see My Little Pony collection. It's crazy! :o ;D

Greg

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 08:15:59 pm »

JennyWren.  I wonder if Paul, at this point, just doesn't get involved in the marketing so much anymore.  His underlings know how to maximize profit and just go with it.  He just makes music.  I wonder if he really does approve of all this stuff.  It's weird.  He's 72 and has a billion dollars.  What's with this new release/bonus stuff?  This so much goes against the original concept of Apple. 

Yes I know the original concept of Apple was a disaster.  But geez.  Hold on to some of those principles would you Paul?  Anyway.

I don't buy that stuff.  When people buy it they just encourage it.  It's all choices, and that's cool.