letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: Egypt Station Reviews  (Read 1853 times)

2 of 3

• Email
Egypt Station Reviews
« on: September 06, 2018, 07:13:07 am »

I thought a collection of reviews would be good.  :) Please add to this if you find some new ones.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/sep/06/paul-mccartney-egypt-station-review-capitol

2 of 3

• Email
Re: Egypt Station Reviews
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 03:52:31 pm »

Well, I've just had a listen to the whole album and I must say it's better than I thought it would be ..at least I like it better than what has been released from the album already. To be honest, there's nothing special here. Most of the songs go exactly where you think they will from the opening 20 seconds. Is that a problem? Not really, I suppose. It is Paul McCartney, so I guess expectations get ahead of me. When nothing really happens to surprise me, my brain just says "ok".  Again, not a bad thing. So far, Hand in Hand is a favourite. The last track at over 6 minutes called Hunt You Down/Naked/C-Link is cool. I guess after one listen this isn't really fair, but I'll try again after a few listens and see if my opinion changes. :)

Keri

• Music from under my skin
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 06:36:06 am »

I've had one listen, i liked his voice sounded better than I expected, seems like he's doing most of the playing himself again and not really complex but some nice ideas and sounds. I'd like to see him do a large ambitious work and so I'm a bit disappointed it's not that but that's my own issue. It has good packaging and I think he's made the album for himself and enjoyed making it, there was nothing I wanted to skip and am really pleased he's done it. Will be listening some more.I am making it sound a bit lack lustre but I think it's genuine and adding something to the work of one of the great artists of our time.

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 07:39:01 am »

I also wanted to mention his voice. It seems pretty good here. I'm not sure if it's the recording technique or whatever, but it's not warbly at all. I was pleased to hear that. :)

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 03:38:49 pm »

I've seen reviews in other circles that decry this not being another "Ram" or "Flowers"......I would say to these folks, "Guess what? When you follow an artist's career, you get a snapshot of where that artist is at that time. Ram was almost 50 years ago (gasp!). I like this album better than his last....the production isn't as compressed and it feels more "fun". Glad he's still with us and putting out good things.
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

Keri

• Music from under my skin
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 03:45:07 pm »

Glad he's still with us and putting out good things.

Yes, it actually takes me a while to get to know an album, but this is definitely a good thing. Also what is the point of another Ram? We already have that, it strikes me that it is different, if not wildly from what he is done before and that's what we should be wanting. As a long time fan it is actually greatly satisfying to me to have a new Paul McCartney album, I am very thankful to him for creating genuine new music.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 05:50:14 am by Keri »

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2018, 07:12:30 pm »

Live show on Youtube starting soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QGxFpSb6Sc

2 of 3

• Email

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2018, 05:58:26 pm »

Has anybody else noticed that Paul is singing a lot of the songs in an almost lower register falsetto? It's a really smart move since he can sing really well that way. I wonder if it was his idea or the producers?