letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: Rock And Roll  (Read 2542 times)

Mervap

• Administrator
Rock And Roll
« on: April 06, 2013, 08:23:17 pm »

This album (yes, vinyl) was a solid attempt by JL to make a 'roots' album, and his voice is in searing condition here. If I had to change anything here it would be two things:

1 )  Ditch the horns on most of the album. In many places, they are superfluous to the point of being distracting.

2 )  Have John record this album in 1985 or so....sounds like wishful thinking, but really does not have much to do with that whole "died in 1980 thing"...just my opinion, but most of JL's solo output suffers from an alarming lack of dynamics range, with everything squeezed towards the middle, with highs and lows sliced off.

It's obvious from just a few minutes listening that John really loved this material. Paul, of course, made a similar album in the middle 80's with the "Choba" collection...his is among my faves in this genre because the production is uncluttlered and lets the simplicity of the song shine through. JL's album is a victim of it's time and producer.
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

2 of 3

• Email
Re: Rock And Roll
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 09:15:03 am »

Favourite Track for me: Slipp'n and Sliding.  :)

chris

• Email
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 05:37:37 pm »

I liked this album a lot when I first got it. I don't have it on a cd format. so it's been a while since I've heard it. but I think it pales in comparison to choba. but when paulie released run devil run...? sorry to say john's rock and roll barely registered a blip on the radar.

who knows though...maybe another listen can get ne to reconsider...
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I've got to get a belly full of wine...

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 05:48:30 pm »

The sound quality is pretty bad...at least my copy is. It's very tinny.