letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: Did we already discuss Paul's changing voice?  (Read 2879 times)

Greg

Did we already discuss Paul's changing voice?
« on: November 29, 2014, 09:38:43 am »

I first stated noticing Paul's voice changing a little was on London Town.  I could detect a slight, slight change.  On Back to the Egg I noticed it a little more.  I actually loved the slight change I could hear on that album.  Then on Mac II Tug of War, etc it seemed to remain pretty steady until maybe Devil or so.  I'd like to hear others' views on Paul's changing voice.

(Please...on any topic do not go back and look at my older posts.  I will probably have repeated myself or contradicted myself on most threads.)

Greg

Re: Did we already discuss Paul's changing voice?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 09:40:12 am »

Hey, I don't care if you look at my older posts.  I think I stay pretty consistent in my posts.

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 10:59:41 am »

Hey, if the new rule is we're not allowed to repeat or contradict  ourselves, then I won't be allowed to post anymore. ;)  ;D ;D

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 02:10:53 pm »

"Did we discuss Greg's changing posts?"

The first time I really thought he might be losing something, vox-wise, was around "Driving Rain".....he held at that point until around "Kisses On the Bottom"......since then, I keep reminding myself that, "for crying out loud...the guy is in his seventies. Cut that pensioner a little slack!"
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 04:13:03 pm »

I'm trying to think the last time he used the Monkberry or Smile Away vocal. Maybe I just missed it?

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 06:40:08 pm »

Dunno about that, but the last time I was Blown Away by Macca's pipes was on "House of Wax".....not the most popular tune, for sure, but there were a couple of times when I wondered if it could be an older track he'd unearthed and put on "Memory". Might just be the dramatic setting, too....
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 07:16:11 pm »

I'm trying to think the last time he used the Monkberry or Smile Away vocal. Maybe I just missed it?

Ahhh.. the full-throated bark! That's a good question. That may well have been the last and only time he used that particular aspect of his range. Previous to that, you'd hear it on 'Why Don't We Do It In The Road', but it's hard to name others!

Greg

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2014, 07:35:03 pm »

Have I already commented on this thread?  I forgot.  Am I on letstalkairsupply.com?

There were glimpses of his Monkberry-type voice in different songs I suppose.  To You off of Back to Egg.  Maybe Call Me also showed a little of his screaming-type ability.  Especially the live version off Over America.  But...yeah...did he ever really sing a song like Monkberry or Smile Away again?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 07:36:35 pm by Greg »

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2014, 01:24:42 am »

'Figure Of Eight' on Flowers in the Dirt had that Monkberry style. Maybe some of the stuff on Run Devil Run?

Greg

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2014, 04:02:01 pm »

'Figure Of Eight' on Flowers in the Dirt had that Monkberry style. Maybe some of the stuff on Run Devil Run?

Yes.  Nice one KyleNZ.

You'd think he would have screamed I've Had Enough a bit more than he did on that one.  That song would have been great live because he would've screamed it.

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2014, 06:40:40 pm »

I've always like the way Paul could go from one extreme to another in the same song. Call Me Back Again is a good example...especially the live version. Also With A Little Luck...the album version(not the single so much) where after the longish synth break at the end...he comes back just screaming his head off.

Greg

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2014, 09:41:17 pm »

True....kind of how he gradually built up Oh Darling!

Keri

• Music from under my skin
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2015, 02:28:22 am »

Paul is a great singer, in the Beatles and solo, not quite as distinctive a voice as John's but more flexible.

New is the only album of his where I'm a bit put off by the vocals, as Merv pointed out he's in his 70's, but I think he should think about using guest vocalists, not entirely, I think an old voice can be good.

Brian Wilson has a damaged voice but because he has so many vocalists in his band I have no problem with his voice.

I haven't got comments on the changes that happened throughout his career, I just know that I always like his voice.