letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: how "unique" are we?  (Read 3353 times)

Derek

how "unique" are we?
« on: December 20, 2013, 09:45:53 am »

I want to share a quote here because i always had trouble with the last line, i agreee with it somewhat but i always came from the mindset that "everyone is unique" but i wonder how far does "uniqueness" go?:
"Once you start viewing people as less than human, seeing them through a lens of their ideology, abilities, experience etc. instead, you're drifting into potentially dogmatic territory.  A general sense of superiority is a by product of self deception. The truth is that none of us are that unique." Hmmmm, "none of us are that unique?" really? i ALWAYS had a pronblem with that concept because it sounded discriminating. i have to admit, for a Christian, i have a very libreal mindset. I would even go as far as playing "the race card" in some situations. i even think that saying "you have personality traits from your parents" is a form of discrimination. but the reason why i'm writing now is because i don't know what to think, but whenever i hear something remotely like that. it hits a nerve with me. It even bothers me when i hear someone say "Derek and.....". does that make me selfish or self absorbed just because i want to be singled out? i realize it's kind of a viciuos circle saying "I want to be differant" when we have alot of other "differant" people in society already. Ive always wonderd what "No Man is an Island" meant. It just means You're not the only one. With all that said, we can throw our individauly out the window and become carbon copies of each other.

Mervap

• Administrator
Re: how "unique" are we?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 04:01:55 pm »

I also recall a quote from an unknown source: "Always remember that you are unique....just like everyone else."

Discrimination, in it's truest sense, is how we differentiate things. An example: "There is a red car next to a silver car." Without the color description, one might not have been able to adequately describe the car to another person. Where one runs into an issue is when the color of the car is used as a pejorative, "Only an idiot would drive a red car!"

That said, I think there are traits in each of us that make ud unique, even though we share a great many also.
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

Greg

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 09:08:08 pm »

This topic has been viewed over 1100 times.  That is far above most of the other topics near it.  ???

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 12:37:42 am »

That is interesting. I wonder what Key Word in Dereks original post is being grabbed by the Google search engines and bringing people to the thread?