letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: I Can't Play Side 2 of Abbey Road.  (Read 1791 times)

Greg

I Can't Play Side 2 of Abbey Road.
« on: January 17, 2015, 11:10:34 am »

I have my albums in the living room and flip through looking for what I'll play next.  I probably play 4 or 5 albums a day...maybe more or less on any given day.

I just can't play side 2 Abbey Road.  I look at it....I take the record out sometimes...I look at it...I put it back...I just can't do it.
It's not that I'm sick of it or don't like it.

I think it's just that it's such a masterpiece that I don't want to put it on just to put it on.  I want to hear it like I did back in the early 70's when I first heard it.  I want to appreciate it more than I know I would by playing it.

Greg

Re: I Can't Play Side 2 of Abbey Road.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 11:24:29 am »

Just because.

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 01:28:39 pm »

Nice.  :) I see by looking out the window, that you have some of that derned white stuff on the ground too.  ;D I like your collection of string instruments hanging on the wall. Can you play them all? I also like your Green Bay beer glass. Back when I actually watched football, GBP were my team. Gotta love football in the snow.  8)

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 02:58:44 pm »

Oddly, Greg, I have trouble with that side as well, but for a differing reason. I'm pretty sure I've posted it.....can't find it, but in a nutshell:

Listening to side two, for me, is like being a spectator on the side of a river, watching four of your best buds rafting along a fairly swift river. You're running along the side, somehow able to keep up.....they're having a great time, with all of their worldly cares melted away. Here's the caveat: there's a HUGE waterfall at the end, and only YOU know about it. You yell as loud as you can for them to GET OUT. Try as you might, the river is too loud for them to hear you....you KNOW this will spell disaster, as if somehow if you lift the needle from the record, all will be okay. But you can't.....they can't.....it HAS to end this way. Am I nuts?
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 06:00:43 pm »

Yeah...The River is a Springsteen album.  ;D

Keri

• Music from under my skin
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2015, 07:04:49 pm »

My favourite three pop/rock albums are Sgt pepper, Brian Wilson Presents SMiLE and Yes Close to the Edge. When I put any of those three albums on it can't be as background music I have to sit and listen with complete concentration, if I do that I go on an amazing trip, very special. But if my attention wanders, I get distracted and don't listen attentively the whole way through I am very disappointed. It is a serious thing to put those albums on.

Greg

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2015, 04:05:00 am »

Mervap...great analogy/metaphor...yes.  Understood.

We have had over 80" of snow this year already.

I played the Smile album yesterday.

I have a balalaika, oud, sitar, banjo. Roland keyboard, piano, Hofner bass, 1966 Kay acoustic, bouzouki, baritone and tenor ukuleles, mountain dulcimer, Chinese Moon guitar, bagalama saz, hurdy gurdy, mandolin, and some other stuff.  I play bass well and guitar pretty good.  Then it all goes downhill. 

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2015, 10:05:19 am »

I liked your analogy too Merv..but you know...you can just start the album all over again. Yay!  :)

AR was one of my GO TO albums growing up. I used to put my speakers on the floor facing each other and lay down on the floor with my head between them. Sort of like a set of JBL Studio Monitor headphones. Then...turn off the lights and just relax and enjoy. Abbey Road was glorious. But so was my audiophile series of Crime of the Century. Not to mention...Who's Next...or Tales of Topographic Oceans. You hear so much in that environment. You hear nothing else and the only light in the room was the blue light on my amp. Obviously, I will blame my tinnitus on other things.  :'(