letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: Milk And Honey  (Read 2387 times)

Mervap

• Administrator
Milk And Honey
« on: April 06, 2013, 08:24:53 pm »

"Milk" has a unique place in the John Lennon catalog...the last songs JL worked on in the studio but mostly unfinished and released around 3 years after his senseless murder. "Nobody Told Me", the initial single, was a fine slice of bouncy rock with some delightfully absurd lyrics. It also sounds to these ears like the most complete song on the album, at least of JL's tracks. As with "Double Fantasy", JL sounds relaxed and confident....he still writes about his insecurities, but they no longer dominate or control him. Yoko's tracks are among her most listenable, which must be taken with a grain of salt. I am not fond of her music, but JL thought a great deal of it, and I will respect that...that having been said, I wish JL had just produced for the world one totally cohesive album of John-only compositions from these sessions (including the Double Fantasy sessions). One is left to compile such an album from the 2 albums oneself, and the songs work quite well together, some of his best sounding solo work.

My big memory of "Milk" is the song "Grow Old With Me". I wanted it played for my wedding in 1987 and my aunt, who was playing at the wedding, had to buy an entire John Lennon songbook to get the music...this she did, and I lost it when I heard her play "Grow", as it had been JL's idea to have the song become a wedding fave, which it has. 
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

2 of 3

• Email
Re: Milk And Honey
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 09:13:49 am »

It's still one of my fantasies that Paul does a backing vocal( as in Ballad of John and Yoko style) on Nobody Told Me. There's still time.  :)

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 06:33:08 am »

Yeah I agree totally with your summation. And Yoko's songs are amongst the strongest set she has put up (though Double Fantasy has its share of standouts too). For an album supposedly of 'leftovers' it is really good. I like the overall raw feel of John's material. And Grow Old With Me is one of his greatest tunes - and it really is the perfect wedding song.   

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 08:10:18 am »

On "Grow Old With Me":

My aunt played the song before we came out for the wedding. My wife's dressing room was a nice, large place with chairs for all of her bridesmaids....the groom's lair was, for all intents and purposes, a janitor's closet situated directly behind one of the church's main speakers. Saying that, I heard EVERYTHING at a loud volume. When "GOWM" started, I was glad there was room for nobody else but me.....I LOST it. The import of that day's events, coupled with hearing a song one of my musical heroes wrote but was denied the chance to complete or to live out, was too much for my eyes to contain. I am glad also that there were two more songs before I was to emerge from the closet, so I had time to get it back together.
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 11:57:27 am »

Awwww Nice!  :)