letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: Time Takes Time  (Read 1618 times)

Mervap

• Administrator
Time Takes Time
« on: January 18, 2015, 10:44:10 am »

Ringo Starr albums are a different kettle of fish from his Beatle brothers' efforts...most often, he has opted for them to sound like superstar parties. He would invite a number of his famous friends, knock back a few drinks and record whatever songs might be at hand. Results ranged from great (RINGO) to awful (Ringo the 4th). On "Time Takes Time", there are indeed a number of famous people involved: Jeff Lynne, Harry Nilsson, Benmont Tench (Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers), Andy Sturmer & Roger Manning (Jellyfish), and a host of fine session musicians. However, a party atmosphere is nowhere to be found...it really seems that Ringo wanted this album to be taken on its musical merits. I was pleased to find that there are plenty of those merits present here.

Even though there are four credited producers on "Time", the sound overall is consistent, clean and uncluttered...Don Was, Peter Asher, Phil Ramone & Jeff Lynne are just the type of production pros Ringo needs. Ringo wrote or co-wrote three of the tunes, with the rest coming from various writers including Ken Stringfellow & Jon Auer of the Posies, one of my personal favorite groups. Most songs have at least a vaguely 'beatley' sound, but there is no outright lifting....and so what if there was? Ringo has a right....well 1/4 of one. It's obvious that everyone involved loves Ringo's previous group...and they really help Ringo shine....Ringo's vocals are an aquired taste for some. Usually I think it's not a strong enough instrument to carry an entire album, but somehow it all works this time. Ringo's drumming is in its usual fine form....quite under-rated.

Fave tunes include "Don't Go Where the Road Don't Go", "Golden Blunders", "After All These Years", "What Goes Around" and "Weight of the World"....since this release, Ringo has been issuing consistently pleasant CDs. 
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?