letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: A Beatles Podcast  (Read 2134 times)

Mervap

• Administrator
A Beatles Podcast
« on: January 25, 2015, 01:27:07 pm »

Over the past couple of weeks, I have been listening to a podcast called Completely Beatles.....it's a completely free podcast done by a couple of Canadian dudes. The subject of each week's podcast is a Beatles album, complete with historical context. I have found a few errors, yeah, but it's been enormously entertaining and I highly recommend it if you have a longish ride to work or something.

You can find it here too:

http://www.sneakydragon.com/category/podcast/compleatly-beatles/
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

Greg

Re: A Beatles Podcast
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 07:59:28 pm »

That one guy knows a lot doesn't he?  The other guy is just kind of there.  This is a very good podcast.

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 08:33:11 pm »

Yeah, the whole idea is that they have an expert, plus a guy who asks questions a more casual fan might ask. The format works well....on a couple of the podcasts, they also have a guest, usually a musician.

Greg

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 06:23:31 pm »

Yes.  Good analysis.  And an expert that guy is.  I listen to them a few times because he did so much research.  They are funny together and interesting.  That other guy is almost needed because it would be a little dry without his questions and comments.

Keri

• Music from under my skin
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 10:08:40 pm »

I started listening to the Please Please me podcast and found it slow going and I think with Lewsohn's Tune Up we can't any longer treat Best's dismissal as a mystery as they did in this podcast. I was put off by them speculating that Best was a good drummer.

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 04:08:35 am »

I have not listened to "Please" due to how the pods downloaded onto my ipod.....suffice it to say, "Please" was the first one they covered and I have found the pods covering the latter albums to be fairly fun. Perhaps they got more relaxed as they went...

Greg

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 08:46:41 pm »

I have listened to all of them and think they are very good.  I still stand by this podcast and do not let one discussion that I disagree with alter my opinion of the series in its entirety.

I can't remember the Pete Best discussion.  Unfortunately the case against Pete's drumming is pretty overwhelming.  Too many have pointed out the fact that his contribution on drums was not what they needed.  Some of the available recordings actually show this.  I was always kind of rooting for him.  I kind of wished that it was just a personal thing or other matter.  I think most of us can agree that chemistry was a factor, but his musical contribution was not what they need nor wanted.

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2015, 07:32:18 am »

I have now listened to the "Please" podcast and what I got from it was not that they were trying to say Pete Best was a good drummer, but they were talking about different books they'd read that speculated as to why Pete was sacked. Also, I don't think Mark Lewisohn's book was released as of the time this podcast was done.....it definitely clears up any ambiguity.

Having said that, anyone who's listened to the Beatles' first recording of "Love Me Do", with Pete on drums, can tell he's got tempo/style issues on it. What many have said is that Pete's style went down well in the clubs...that might be true, as maintaining a danceable "four on the floor" didn't seem to be a problem for him.

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2015, 10:16:39 am »

Merv would obviously know better than me about this...but.....is sure sounds to me like Pete's version of Love Me Do is a basic rhythm track for the singers. Here's all 3 versions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWnklhOCVmc

Keri

• Music from under my skin
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2015, 10:11:56 pm »

I still stand by this podcast and do not let one discussion that I disagree with alter my opinion of the series in its entirety.

I've listened to the Sgt Pepper podcast right through and enjoyed it much more than what I heard of the Pleaser Please Me one, I do think first impressions are often strong and spending so long on the Pete Best "mystery" irritated me, maybe I was just feeling irritable, also haven't been so taken with the side kick. I will probably work my way through them.