letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: The Beatles Doing Covers  (Read 1954 times)

2 of 3

• Email
The Beatles Doing Covers
« on: January 30, 2015, 04:45:19 pm »

Merv and I were talking about the songs the Beatles covered in the early days. I was wondering what fav's you have...and what you kind of dislike enough to skip over.

I'm kind of partial to Paul's showtune covers, such as Taste of Honey and Till There Was You. I quite like John's Please Mr Postman...though I think Paul and George doing the backup really makes it special.

In the unlike section....Boys is kinda annoying.  :o

Greg

Re: The Beatles Doing Covers
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 04:59:25 pm »

Words Of Love is great isn't it.  I know they did that in the 50's but not sure if a version from then exists.  I think there is a live version that is pre-Beatles For Sale though.

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 04:54:34 pm »

Merv and I keep talking about doing a cover of Words of Love. It would help if I could play something hahaha.

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 10:58:14 pm »

In the unlike section....Boys is kinda annoying.  :o

Boys is great! Ringo did a really good vocal on that. The whole Please Please Me album is really strong - covers-inclusive.

But I do agree - Til There Was You and A Taste of Honey would be right up the top for me too. I also think they did the definitive versions of 'Money' and 'You've Really Got A Hold On Me'.

And 'Twist and Shout' is so inimitable that no one really thinks of it as a cover version - they just think of The Beatles.

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 11:03:38 pm »

One of my favourite underrated covers is of them doing 'The Hippy Hippy Shake' in Hamburg. It is so raw, it sounds like punk rock some 15 years before The Clash and the Sex Pistols. So wild and uninhibited! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsyK7PTet0s

Greg

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 11:20:12 pm »

One of the guys in the band came over this afternoon and told me how much he liked Chains.  I thought about it and realized how good that tune is.

Keri

• Music from under my skin
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2015, 05:36:04 am »

Boys is great! Ringo did a really good vocal on that. The whole Please Please Me album is really strong - covers-inclusive.

But I do agree - Til There Was You and A Taste of Honey would be right up the top for me too. I also think they did the definitive versions of 'Money' and 'You've Really Got A Hold On Me'.

And 'Twist and Shout' is so inimitable that no one really thinks of it as a cover version - they just think of The Beatles.

Agree about Boys, always loved it. I like Too Much Monkey Business, Carol and I got a Woman from BBC sessions, as well as Money, Taste of Honey, Words of Love,  Twist and Shout & Dizzy Miss Lizzy