letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: Paul Lyrics  (Read 2088 times)

Greg

Paul Lyrics
« on: February 01, 2015, 06:22:24 pm »

I'm sitting here about the watch the SB that does not have the Packers in it because they lost in the most unbearable fashion...anyway. 

I'm listening to both sides of RR Speedway.  It has me thinking of his lyrics.  He is the strangest lyricist I can think of in terms of how I look at it.

Big Barn Bed is so cool.  Just odd lyrics that are cool.  I love Paul's odd-lyric songs.  There are tons of his lyrics that I cringe at.

Some of my fav and non lyrics:

Like:  Morse Moose, San Ferry Anne, Monkberry, Silly Love Songs, Smile Away, Famous Groupies.

Don't like:  Bluebird, C'mon People, Freedom, Wildlife, Let Me Roll It.

Mervap

• Administrator
Re: Paul Lyrics
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 07:01:33 pm »

I think Paul sometimes just relies upon "place-keeping" words, like "Yesterday" began life as "Scrambled Eggs". Just something that phonetically fills the space. Then, it seems, at other times he gets really picky about the words....I recall around the time he recorded "Off the Ground", he hired a poet to help him enrich his lyrical content. Macca.....you don't need that kind of help. You're pretty danged good on your own.
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 10:13:57 am »

I'm interested to know why Bluebird is on your Do Not Like list. Is it the schmaltz factor?  ???

Greg

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 05:58:43 pm »

Well shoot...I don't know 2.  It's just how it has always struck me.  I was 15 when that came out.  Not appealing at the time.  Never got over it.  The chorus is what kills me.  It's drones on and is repetitive.

But I just heard a Beatle podcast where the guy hated Let'em In.  I love Let'em In.

I'm trying to think of songs by him that I love that most people either wouldn't like or be indifferent to.  I guess I can say I really, really like Wild Honey Pie and the song London Town a lot.

Bluebird is too long for me. 
He wrote that way before it came out on Band on the Run.  Maybe he didn't like it either...Ha!  No...he wouldn't have done it on tour and put it on the live record if he didn't like it. 

On the plus side the lyrics are kind of cool in the way he tells her how she can become a bluebird too and they can fly away together.
(Perfect song for a band called Wings.)

So...2...I didn't like it way back then, and now I can't seem to get over it.

btw Fixing a Hole is cool. 

Keri

• Music from under my skin
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 02:19:12 am »

I think Paul learnt from John a certain freedom in his lyrics (something John unlearnt for his solo career). this stayed with him, that he didn't have to understand what he was writing, it's ok to surprise yourself and be playful with words. Paul wasn't that great at singing directly he usually avoided taking a stand, I think George was actually the most direct and forthright Beatles.

Sometimes his work comes across as a bit vague and unfocussed, sometimes his lyrics seem clumsy

If there's a fight, I'd like to fix it (fixing a fight means you've rigged it)

Butterflies they buzz around my head (Butterflies don't buzz, what was he thinking?)

But Paul makes great music and the lyrics usually don't distract and while they don't have personal revelations in them, they are yet quite individualistic. So yeah on the whole I'm good with Paul's lyrics.

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 02:45:59 am »

This is the second time someone has gotten this meaning from that line....I never saw it that way. In a larger context of the whole half-verse: "If there's a fight, I'd like to fix it, I hate to see things go so wrong...". I'd always figured Macca was saying if there are two people fighting (arguing), he'd like to help sort it out. Has anyone ever seen Paul's lyrical intent in an interview? It would be great to find that one out!
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

Keri

• Music from under my skin
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 03:48:01 am »

This is the second time someone has gotten this meaning from that line....I never saw it that way. In a larger context of the whole half-verse: "If there's a fight, I'd like to fix it, I hate to see things go so wrong...". I'd always figured Macca was saying if there are two people fighting (arguing), he'd like to help sort it out. Has anyone ever seen Paul's lyrical intent in an interview? It would be great to find that one out!

I agree with you as to what Paul is trying to say, but having that unintentional double meaning detracts from what he is trying to say.