letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: Question  (Read 1505 times)

Greg

Question
« on: February 20, 2015, 09:14:05 am »

Many times in my life I've people have said to me, "Hey, I know The Beatles is your favorite band, but what's your next favorite?"

My answer has always been The Clash.

I just think they are great, and the music meant a lot to me.  Joe Strummer was like John Lennon to me.  Shoot...he IS like John Lennon to me.  Musically?  No.  But as people...yes.

Funny enough Wings could almost be my answer to that question too.

Mervap

• Administrator
Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 04:18:22 pm »

Hmmmm......second favorite band?  I could look at this a lot of different ways. If you exclude all of the Beatles' solo careers, the artist I have the most of would be Brian Setzer (including Stray Cats & his Orchestra). However, although I love his music in all its incarnations, it doesn't MOVE me the way the lads did. After Setzer would be Marshall Crenshaw and his muse does move me in a similar, but more personal, way. I love The Smithereens a whole lot and have almost all of their catalog. A new fave that I would mention would be Pugwash and a side project of theirs called The Duckworth Lewis Method. Time will tell if they maintain the excellence demonstrated on all of their music to this point.
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 08:16:38 am »

That's just way too hard to answer. It changes all the time. I guess everyone's the same though. It's easy to get in a groove with an artist for years and then for some reason move on to someone else. I'd say...Beatles...then a pretty steady rotation of the usual suspects. :)  Right now it's Lightfoot...though it could easily turn into Crowded House. Hmm...Crowded House...I should look them up again. ;)

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 08:19:49 am »

I missed Crowded House! How could I do that?

I've found most of their CDs to be uneven, but brilliant on the whole.

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 10:19:42 am »

And forgot about the Mavericks! They have a new CD out, too:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/the-mavericks-dance-the-pain-away-on-new-album-mono-20150220?page=3

The vid is at the bottom of the page.....

Greg

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 12:53:17 am »

Sister Madly is one of my favorite songs ever.  Crowded House doing that on Letterman is fantastic.