John Lennon Forums > Lennon- Albums

Mind Games

(1/4) > >>

Keri:
I like the title track, it's not genius but i think it's a pretty good single. But it's really the only song that i think is really good.

This album just seems imaginatively bankrupt, I'd take most of Ringo's albums over this one, I find John solo so frustrating, he was an intensely creative man, but he just wasn't exercising it. Makes me think of the Dadaists and surrealists that became hardline communists and their art died.

Anyone here love this one?

Mervap:
Not particularly....I've read that Lennon was particularly stung by the reception his previous album, "Some Time In New York City", and was determined to not do that one again. Title track is, as you said, a pretty good single, but not genius. I like "Tight A$", but more for the music than anything else. I also liked "Bring On the Lucie (Freda People)......not too much else outside of those. I will say that the remasters that were done in the early 2000's make "Mind Games" a much more listenable album....

2 of 3:
I played this one a lot. I'm not sure why though. I liked it I guess. One of my "things" is to play something to death for a year and then not go back to it every again.  :o I like Mind Games and Out of the Blue and a few others. One Day at a Time has the weirdest effect on the Drums though....something he did on a few other songs.

Mervap:
Sounds like a delay or extreme slap-back echo to me....JL loved that effect on his vox too.

Greg:
The song Mind Games has such great vocals by John.  Out Of The Blue is cool.  All in all I am in with Keri on this.  My thoughts exactly.  John was stressed.  He was stressed about the immigration situation, the Some Time in NYC album "failure", and stressed about his relationship with Yoko. 

I have always thought this:  John really had a small obsession with Whiter Shade of Pale, and I have always thought that the song Mind Games was always kind of a slower, troggy, descending-chord song that was consciously or sub-consciously influenced by that song.  I have never found anyone to agree with that.  I stand alone on this.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version