letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: Celebrity  (Read 3187 times)

2 of 3

• Email
Celebrity
« on: May 06, 2013, 11:55:45 am »

Anybody here want to be famous? I sure don't. Can you imagine what it's like to never ever be able to go anywhere without being followed by photographers? Do you buy toilet paper online and have it delivered..or do you just go out and buy it knowing you are going to be in some rag or on the internet, 30 seconds after you put it in your grocery cart. I'm not sure the perks will ever out weigh the bad of being a celebrity. 

What do you folks think?

chris

• Email
Re: Celebrity
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 12:30:00 pm »

I wouldn't trade my life for one of fame and fortune...ever. Seems most who are famous lose touch with reality. personally, all I ever really aspired for is to be happy. i'd say I am...relatively. and it has nothing to do with cash or fame.

nope. i'm good with my middle class home and my middle class life.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 04:53:12 pm by chris »
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I've got to get a belly full of wine...

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 06:42:43 pm »

I am what is termed an "average Joe".....and I am good with that. Sure, I could use a few extra bucks every now and again, but that wouldn't be worth being "famous".
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

chris

• Email
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 07:17:26 pm »

I think people tend to think that more money will bring more happiness. I don't think that's true. It might get you more stuff. And that's cool, for awhile. But soon you're just going to want more stuff...better stuff.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I've got to get a belly full of wine...

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 12:39:39 am »

I wish I had enough money to be able to pay chris to post more.  ;) ;D

Greg

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 06:20:53 am »

One study found that starting at $75K happiness levels go down.  That is interesting.  I can see it being true in many cases.
I would be one comfortable person if I made $75K, and I might be somewhat affected by earning above that.  I make about $55K now, and that extra $20K would be wonderful. 

Maybe I'd be saying that I wish I made $95K if I made $75K though.

I really do have everything I need, but there are some things that I am somewhat worried about.  2 leaks in roof that I can't afford.  I have a car with 187K miles and don't have the $ for a major repair, etc.

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 05:30:22 pm »

Greg, I am in a similar place as you......I generally don't have piles of cash lying around, but I am a happy guy most of the time. The saying goes that it's the struggle that makes it fun.....
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

chris

• Email
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 07:28:50 pm »

I wish I had enough money to be able to pay chris to post more.  ;) ;D

Not necessary. You'd probably just give me that Canadian money, anyway

Greg

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 08:36:14 pm »

I think being famous would come with a heavy heavy price.

I can just imagine the drawbacks.  It would be feast or famine.  You are famous or forgotten in your own eyes.
You ever hear some of them say, "I would be nothing without you."  ??? Wtf?
Their identity is wrapped up in their fame.

And you can't have a true friend unless its before you got famous...but you have probably lost touch with them.  John had Pete Shotton but eventually he sort of slipped away.  (or made to feel unwelcome by Yoko.)

If you aren't Tom Hanks or Dustin Hoffman or Susan Sarandon or U2 or Sting or Paul or someone who has a long long career, then I don't think it would be a desirable thing.  And the people I just mentioned are in the 0.05 percent if that.

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2015, 09:04:59 pm »

Kim Kardashian selling a coffee table book of Selfies. Wowzer and yikes-o-rama.  Ansel Adams may never stop spinning.  ::)

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2015, 12:46:05 pm »

I think the cult of celebrity has changed with the advent of social media. Artists have the opportunity to get closer to their fans and vice versa - the dynamics of it all has changed - the myth of what a celebrity gets up to behind closed doors is completely gone out the window now because they will quite happily tweet a photo of their debauched selves and post a status about it!  ;D Nothing really is a mystery anymore, we pretty much know everything about them, and the same potentially goes for them with us. Privacy as we know it has become non-existent and our attitude and comfort level with it has also changed.

Just to be the one aloof from the flock, I'd like to be a celeb! I could do it! Being walled up in a mansion is not a lot different to my private life now - when I'm not at work all day I'm pretty much at home and barely rub shoulders with the outside world in this small town. I'm already kinda conditioned to the relative isolation of it.

And I would get a kick out of communicating with fans, no different to how we are on a forum now. Robbie Williams was actually a member on a UFO forum I was in once, and I think he enjoyed the banter of sharing experiences and stories with people who have the same interest. And I've had the good pleasure of friending a few famous musicians on Facebook in my time on there. They're just people like the rest of us.  :D

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2015, 03:08:29 pm »

barely rub shoulders with the outside world in this small town

Yeah but...you get to hang out with Xena and a bunch of Hobbits. Sounds great to me!  :)

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2015, 09:07:00 am »

Bahahaha!!

But yeah, celebrities seem so much more accessible than they ever used to be. In that sense, the internet really has brought us closer together.