letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: The Comment Section of ANY Website  (Read 2802 times)

2 of 3

• Email
The Comment Section of ANY Website
« on: May 21, 2015, 08:32:20 pm »

I wish there was an app or extension the made it impossible to read any comments left on a website. Sure, I could just not read them..but it's that old rubber neck scenario when you drive past a car crash. You just have to look. It doesn't seem to matter what site  you are on....any news site, or Youtube or blog etc etc...it's the same old thing...a bunch of people who can't wait to tell you how much hate they have flowing in their veins. It's so painful to read. It really does make you worry about the fate of the human race. I was watching BBC news during the election..they interviewed some school kids...10-year-olds. They asked the kids who he would vote for and the kids said Ukip...cuz they would kick out all the foreigners. Where did that come from? Kids shouldn't be hearing that kind of nonsense at that age. They should be kids. 

The world is busted.

Feel free to leave a comment. ;) :o

Mervap

• Administrator
Re: The Comment Section of ANY Website
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 05:00:44 am »

Comments disabled
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 05:04:26 am »

Just kidding!

I don't really know why comment sections seem to be a haven for hate, but I think it's a quest for relevance. People who feel inconsequential and forgotten might grab at any chance to feel like they can affect others, be it in a positive or negative way.

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 11:34:45 pm »

I've found that the comments section of the 'Rolling Stone.com' website features some of the most hate-filled rabid people on the internet - and they claim to be 'music' fans! They almost put YouTube commenters to shame. If there's a positive comment about an artist you like, you can be sure there will be an army of haters at the ready and literally baying for blood! It's like, no one is allowed to have their own subjective opinion that's true to themselves - no they are WRONG - you will always be WRONG - however you feel about an artist and their best work or the genre they represented - you are WRONG! And they will keep coming back until the cows come home to make sure they have the last word!  :-\

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 02:50:51 pm »

I'm not sure if anybody else does this...but on my Youtube page....I delete the garbage people spew. Nobody has called me on it. I do wonder why others just leave that stuff on there...it's easy to make go away.  :-X

Greg

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 07:43:12 pm »

What a polarized world.  Weird. 

...and everyone has to be right.  Rarely is there a comment giving credit to a person for a point well-made.
The response is always, "Well yeah, but what about..."

The anonymity of the web kind of skews things too.  (My real name is Larry btw, and all the photos I've submitted are of someone else.  A good looking guy, but it's not me.)

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 08:59:07 pm »

Is it ALL ABOUT THE CLICKS?  I mean really....why are these comment sections not moderated? I used to love reading the BBC website. All the comments were an intelligent debate. Nothing nasty at all. Then they changed their format a few years back and there are no comments on the page anymore...you have to go to their twitter feed to see anything.
I was on the Huff Post site a few years ago too(before I quit them) and commented that the Headline wasn't really about the body of the story..it was click bait . I was told to F off if I didn't like it. If it was the author of the story it would be one thing..but just other commenters like myself? Who defends a corporate website?  :o

Totally weird  :-\

Greg

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 05:59:16 am »

I was on the Huff Post site a few years ago too(before I quit them) and commented that the Headline wasn't really about the body of the story..it was click bait . I was told to F off if I didn't like it. If it was the author of the story it would be one thing..but just other commenters like myself? Who defends a corporate website?  :o

That sums up the mess that it has all become.

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 08:13:16 am »

I guess I should also point out, that the reason LTB exists is because of comments made on "another" site.  8)

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 12:24:12 pm »

Ahhh.. I remember that 'other' website. The site owner was very heavy-handed in dealing with my opinions, which in retrospect I should've kept to myself. But I suspect some of the senior members there also didn't warm too well to my somewhat harsh opinions on the Macca albums that didn't gel with me. And if there was a lesser-favoured Macca album that I actually praised, it would also be met with ad-hominem vitriol by these same senior people.

But oh well, that's water under the bridge now. No longer am I so naive to think that just because we are all Paul McCartney fans, that we are all nice people and all see eye-to-eye on everything. They hated me blasting the likes of Flaming Pie and Driving Rain, and I would get ridiculed for supporting say, Macca II or his early 80s period. But it was when I started speaking out about 9/11 conspiracy theories (I think it came from a thread about Macca's song 'Freedom' and how trite it was.. I still think it is an a horrible tune and not very well thought-out/researched lyrically) - well that was the final uproar - the straw that broke the camel's back. The site owner didn't ban me but made it very clear I was not welcome. He made this huge deal over preserving a steadfast conservative attitude to politics and life from a fear that he would drive away his readership - no 'weirdo/whacko' opinions were allowed. Yikes.

I'm not a fan of hate speech and disagreeing just for the sake of being contrary, but I do think people should be able to freely express a wide variety of opinions as long as it's not attacking another person personally. Unfortunately there are many people out there with no internal filter to control their dis-inhibitions. And hence why we get all this hate-filled nonsense out there. It all comes down to us as individuals. Are you coming from a place of love? Or is it a place of absolutism?

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2015, 05:44:13 pm »

I really like the exchanging of differing perspectives....I may not agree with all of the opinions expressed on this website (I like Flaming Pie! :) ), but if we all liked the same things, what a boring place the world would be.

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2015, 07:24:55 pm »

I'm kind of impressed that there have been 12 postings, and so far I haven't mentioned Nickleback.  :-X 

Ooops!  :-X ;)

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2015, 09:02:02 am »

Yeah I too am the kind of guy invigorated by an alternative perspective (even if it's one I don't agree with). Sometimes it can make you see something in a different way, and that has to be good.

But when it gets down to "how DARE you say this about that" and gets personal, then it crosses the line. I see a lot of name-calling on YouTube, and I see it on Facebook too. And of course, on blog/news/websites. It creeps in everywhere.

Some people simply cannot contain themselves.  :o