Paul McCartney Forums > McCartney- Albums

Ranking Macca's Albums - this is what Ultimate Classic Rock think! Do you agree?

(1/2) > >>

kylenz:
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/paul-mccartney-albums-ranked/

Whoever wrote that list seems to have an intense dislike for Macca's sappy side - I think you need to have that appreciation for pop in general to fully appreciate the scope of any of his albums - because he will usually put a little bit of everything on there. Say Say Say and So Bad for example, are poor examples to pick on - they are great pop songs. Sugary yes, but very good. I'm surprised he regarded Flaming Pie so high - not one of my faves! But pleased to see solid showings from Back To the Egg and Red Rose Speedway.

What do you reckon? Anyone willing and keen to do their own ranking list?

2 of 3:
That was an interesting read. It almost seemed like he was struggling to rank them(which is understandable). I'm sure we all have "skippers"..which, of course, are songs on albums that just annoy the hell out of you so you skip over them. Paul has a lot of "skippers"...for me anyway. It really ruins the flow of an album for me. It's probably the reason I don't often listen to Sir Paul on  a regular basis. There is just something about putting on an album, hearing 2 great songs and then Arrrgh! :o More often for me, I just turn the album off now.  >:(

Band on the Run is always going to be ranked Number One...it has no skippers.  ;D

kylenz:

--- Quote from: 2 of 3 on June 07, 2015, 06:15:02 am ---Band on the Run is always going to be ranked Number One...it has no skippers.  ;D

--- End quote ---

That's so true! It really has no skippers!

Red Rose Speedway is also like that for me, because even though it has so many different styles of tunes on it (I know 'Loup' wasn't popular with a lot of Macca fans), it has a sentimental value that I always see the album as a whole and every song playing their part in their own way. 'Single Pigeon' has just as much value as 'My Love', for instance. But I also agree, a lot of Macca albums have songs you don't ever need to hear again - and thanks to the power of modern technology, I can now skip the likes of 'Cook of the House', 'Tug of Peace', 'Write Away', 'Biker Like an Icon' etc. I just drag-and-drop the strongest songs to my phone or whatever.

Side 2 of 'Pipes of Peace' is the biggest clanger! So many skippers in a row, all piled up there. But I must confess, I like 'The Man'! haha

Keri:
I quite enjoyed that and yes you expect Band on the Run to be ranked at the top and I'm glad to see Ram second.

I like Off the Ground a lot more, I listen to it right through with pleasure I know I'm unusual there. I also think McCartney II is a very likeable album. I was surprised to see Chaos and creation so high.

Here's my list of the McCartney albums i like in order, but I like them all I could probably juggle these into a different order on a different day

Ram
Band on the Run
Venus and Mars
Flaming Pie
Red Rose Speedway
Off the Ground
Chaos and Creation
London Town
Tug of War
McCartney II
McCartney
Flowers in the Dirt

Back to the Egg might be added, but I don't have a CD copy and am a bit annoyed that I can't buy one. Also New and Memory Almost full might feature sometimes but they haven't sunk in for me.

That is quite a few albums from a single artist to like. I don't think George did that many albums, though he has a better batting average for me.

kylenz:
George would be an interesting one. All Things Must Pass would be a no-brainer, I also like Somewhere In England and Cloud Nine, and bits of Brainwashed I like. But never been a fan of anything on the other albums.. Gone Troppo, Dark Horse, Extra Texture, Living in the Material World etc I struggle to find one song I like.

ATMP on the other hand would rank right up with Band on the Run as the best album made by a solo Beatle.

What would we do with ranking John's albums? I am a sneaky fan of (Some Time) In New York City - though it is generally not highly regarded. And the same goes for Milk and Honey. Mind Games would go down the bottom.

Ringo - again, very tough. Are there any solo Ringo albums that would go right up there with the best of Paul/John/George? Maybe the self-titled 'Ringo' (1973). Any others?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version