George Harrison Forums > Harrison- Albums

George Harrison's albums ranked

(1/2) > >>

Keri:
Kyle posted a link ranking McCartney's albums so here's one for George:

http://www.guitarworld.com/dark-horse-top-10-george-harrison-albums#slide-0

Here's my ranking

All Things Must Pass - Amazing song collection, I'm in two mind about the production
George Harrison - Totally love this album, peaceful fantastically crafted, love George's playing love the songs
Brainwashed - Another collection of really great songs, sincerity and emotion
33 & 1/3 - Really sharp album
Cloud Nine - More good songs, a great come back
Somewhere in England - Again love there songs and the production
Living in the Material World - a bit sad but still an excellent album - Give me Love is a fantastic single
Gone Troppo - A lot of fun, lively and engaging
Extra Texture - George had to write this album quite quickly, so the songs aren't so strong, but I like it it's his soul album
Dark Horse - The main problem I have with this is his voice was overworked, but I can still happily listen to this every so often.

George has often got a bad rap from rock pop journalists, I used to accept their views but over time his output has really grown on me.

Here's an example of a bad rap, an article subtitled "How a Pop Icon Made Some of the Most Disappointing Albums Ever"

http://www.popmatters.com/feature/161357-the-worst-of-george-harrison/

Greg:
33 1/3.  I like Keri's description:  Really sharp album.  This album came out when Wings were going strong, and I was dying to see something from George.  I really like this album.  I'll have to listen to the follow up (3 years later) again this afternoon.  I remember playing it and wanting to love it but didn't.  I'm guessing I will like it more now. 

All Things is great.  What can be said at this point?

I'm not a big fan of solo George.  It's funny.  All through the 70's Paul could do no wrong with me, but I really never gave George a chance.  And George has great stuff in that decade.  I need to put on some George.

kylenz:
I will have a think about this. Will come back later!

kylenz:
Ok, giving it a go!

1 - All Things Must Pass - easily the greatest triple album in popular music history. I know George wasn't keen on Phil Spector's production (like Macca didn't like what he did with Let It Be I guess) but he did exactly what he needed to do to make the songs sound momentous. And by the same token, he didn't over-produce the more intimate folky tunes either. It's a good balance of raw acoustic music and full-on big band wall-of-sound stuff. With a classy list of sidemen onboard! Heck, they even got a pre-fame Phil Collins on percussion on one of the tracks! Favourite tracks - so hard to pick, but I would go for 'What Is Life', and 'Beware of Darkness'.
2 - Cloud Nine - his most consistently good album aside from ATMP. All the singles were excellent - 'Got My Mind Set On You', 'When We Was Fab', 'This Is Love'. It also has a couple of other great tracks - 'Fish On The Sand' is a fave, and 'Devil's Radio'. One of the best comeback albums ever.
3 - Somewhere In England - an album not without its flat spots but also some of George's most golden solo moments. 'All Those Years Ago', 'Blood From A Clone', 'Teardrops' - all fantastic, and 'Life Itself' would be one of my favourite slower George tunes.
4 - 33 and 1/3 - this album has the real nuggets from George's post-ATMP 1970s output. The opener 'Woman Don't You Cry For Me' is funky. 'It's What You Value' is underrated. 'This Song' was a fun single. Still has a lot of average material but has some definite highlights.
5 - Brainwashed - I'd heard bits of it in the wake of George's death but wasn't that enamoured with the material, until my brother bought it for me for a Xmas present.  The production has Jeff Lynne's paw-prints all over it but it's a strong way for George to finish.
6 - Living in the Material World - good musicianship, 'Give Me Love' is a great song, but the rest doesn't do much for me.
7 - George Harrison (1979) - apart from 'Blow Away' (a great single), everything else on it seems all the same and middle-of-the-road. And completely ruins his old White Album song 'Not Guilty' - the original Beatles demo had teeth and grit, this rendition has nothing.
8 - Extra Texture - a slight improvement on Dark Horse, but not by much.
9 - Dark Horse - aside from the title track, it's hard to find a good strong tune on it.
10 - Gone Troppo - definitely has that tropical island feel, but the songs have nothing to offer and the production has that tinny 80s keyboard sound with chorused slide guitar. Very bland for what should be summery and vibrant.

2 of 3:
I think it would be safe to say that All Things Must Pass is the best "after Beatles" album from any of the lads. George did have a lot of tunes saved up though. :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version