Ringo Starr Forums > Starr- Albums

Ringo's albums ranked

(1/2) > >>

Keri:
I couldn't find a site that ranked Ringo's albums properly with reviews etc, so here's something anyway:

http://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?b=4709

If someone finds a better list please post it.

My favourite is hardly ever ranked very high but I love

Sentimental journey - So much character in this one, it melts me
Ringo - This is everyone else's favourite and it's definitely a goody

I listen to others and enjoy them but they haven't properly sunk in but I do like in no particular order:

Goodnight Vienna
Ringorama
Time takes Time

kylenz:
This is going to be difficult, as I can only rank the Ringo albums I have (and unfortunately there are some clunkers!) but here we go:

Ringo (1973) - undoubtedly his best and most consistent album, thanks to 'a little help from his friends'.
Choose Love - A surprisingly good stab at neo-psychedelia throughout, the only let-down is the predictability of the band and the way it's been laid down.
Sentimental Journey - not one of my favourites, but a decent job of the standards.
Ringo's Rotogravure - got this for a dollar at a bookarama sale once. What I found interesting, is the reappearance of all the other Beatles just like on 'Ringo' and I love all the polaroids in the inner sleeve - it's as close to a Beatles reunion as we can get. Unfortunately the songs were nowhere up to scratch compared to the prior effort. But he does do a very good cover of 'Hey Baby'. I also have the 45 of that (with the b-side 'Lady Gaye feat. Dr John).
Ringo The 4th - This album was also found in a bargain bin when I was little.. never liked the album, maybe it's time to reassess it? It was very disco. Maybe it's time to listen with fresh ears!

I have heard bits of other albums ('Walk With You' with Macca is great, 'the title track of 'Liverpool 8' is superb, as is the new song 'Postcards From Paradise') but I guess I got a bit burnt early on with solo Ringo albums and tended to stay away from them. Any others you would recommend as essential listening? I've heard 'Time Takes Time' is a good one.

Mervap:
"Time Takes Time", for me, is the class of the pack. My issue with Ringo albums is that his voice isn't as versatile as the other Lads', so he's got to vary other things, such as production approach. There are about three differing styles present here, and that helps a lot.

kylenz:

--- Quote from: Mervap on June 19, 2015, 08:02:22 pm ---My issue with Ringo albums is that his voice isn't as versatile as the other Lads

--- End quote ---

This leads me to an interesting question - has Ringo ever sang falsetto on any song? I'm struggling to think of any where he has stretched his voice to hit really high notes.

Not that it's any disrespect to him - I like him very much as a vocalist. The lead vocal he does on 'Boys' on Please Please Me is equally as strong as anything John Paul or George did in those days.

Keri:

--- Quote from: kylenz on June 20, 2015, 01:23:19 am ---Not that it's any disrespect to him - I like him very much as a vocalist. The lead vocal he does on 'Boys' on Please Please Me is equally as strong as anything John Paul or George did in those days.

--- End quote ---

Ringo projects his character with his singing. I like to hear his voice, I feel a sense of connection and good will that draws me in.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version