letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: Drugs and The Beatles thought.  (Read 1646 times)

Greg

Drugs and The Beatles thought.
« on: July 08, 2015, 11:56:54 am »

It's weird that there was so much rhetoric surrounding The Beatles and drugs.  The big LSD article with Paul stands out.  The whole issue of pot in the 60's, etc.  Are The Beatles promoting drugs in young people? Blah, blah, blah.

What drug killed one member of The Beatles' family?

Yep.  Prescription drugs.

Mervap

• Administrator
Re: Drugs and The Beatles thought.
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 03:29:26 pm »

My impression of The Beatles' relationship to drugs and their fans was this: Think for yourself, this is what they do for me. I'll admit to not having read extensively about interviews of the Lads at the time, but I listened to the music a lot and never got the urge to drop acid or anything. :-)
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

Keri

• Music from under my skin
Re: Drugs and The Beatles thought.
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 04:36:27 am »

The Beatles experimented with drugs, they took stuff that kept them awake in Germany and Dylan turned them onto Marijuana but I think LSD had the biggest effect on their art particularly for John but only for a short period Sgt Pepper/ Magical Mystery Tour. I think LSD may have helped George start his spirituality, seeing things in a different way, he moved on but I think he incorporated what he got from LSD into his world view. John and Yoko i think did Heroin for a while which strikes me as a really awful drug, not mind expanding or artistically enriching but highly habit forming and personally degrading.

Funnily Paul did the famous interview where he admitted taking LSD but he was the last to do it and I don't think it changed him or his music much. He liked Marijuana, I suspect never got into harder stuff (except alcohol for a bit after being put out by the breakup of there Beatles)

As you say though they left there fans to decide and we could benefit from their explorations without having to indulge ourselves.