letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: Concert Experiences.  (Read 1330 times)

Greg

Concert Experiences.
« on: July 11, 2015, 11:17:07 am »

There are many concert experiences that stand out for me.  One is kind of odd.

I was watching Cheap Trick about 10 years ago.  I never owned one of their albums but do remember liking the songs I heard from them back in the 70's.  No one I know disliked Surrender back then; you couldn't.

Anyway, I walked down to the left of the stage and looked up at these four guys and thought, "That's f***in Cheap Trick!  The same four guys, all these years later, still playing and sounding great.  It just made me happy.  I was was just smiling and was looking at the band.  I looked at Robin Zander, and he happened to look right at me. 

He wasn't smiling, but when he saw the look on my face he just just got the happiest look on his face and smiled at me like he was glad to see me.  It was just the coolest thing.  He understood that I appreciated seeing them play. 

I have played 100's of gigs and understand what he was seeing.  When you're on stage you can kind of pan the crowd, and you can read the looks.  Every once in a great while you see someone who really is enthralled by what your doing.  I suppose they see that every time they play, but for this one brief three seconds it was very cool.

(No I didn't go get a Robin Zander poster and put it on my bedroom wall after that.  You all just shut up.)

Mervap

• Administrator
Re: Concert Experiences.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 02:13:55 pm »

(No I didn't go get a Robin Zander poster and put it on my bedroom wall after that.  You all just shut up.)

Why would you need two? :-)

I think I may have seen Cheap Trick on the same tour, or close to it....Cake opened for them. Fantastic show.
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 05:54:21 pm »

It was just the coolest thing.  He understood that I appreciated seeing them play.   

This reminds me of the first time I saw Supertramp. For some reason, Supertramp were kind of a big deal in Canada before the USA, so it was kind of neat to see this band in small venues around the time of Crisis What Crisis. There was a small university town about an hours drive from where I lived, so my buds and I would get tickets and pretend to be university students.(it was pretty great actually, saw Costello and Harry Chapin at the same venue)
Supertramp had an opening act at this time. Chris DeBurg. We knew who he was of course and were pleased to have him AND Supertramp.  He absolutely killed it. He had 6 thousand people in the palm of his hands that night. He looked almost baffled that everyone knew the words to his songs. Especially Patrica the Stripper.  :o I should point out, we were 4 rows center stage. Amazing seats.  So anyway, he finished his set and Supertramp come out and they kill too. Like big time..so tight. The nice thing was though, they mention how great Chris DeBurg was and ask him to come back and play with them. So he plays along with the rest of the ST set. It was brilliant. They did like 3 encores and nobody would leave. Finally, they did give up and the house lights came on and pretty much everyone stayed in their seats. After much chanting of MORE!, Chris came out by himself and said they really had to go..and then proceeded to play Here Comes The Sun on 12 string.

Just a fab night that I still remember like it was last week.  :)

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 10:48:03 pm »

Chris DeBurgh? Do you mean the Lady In Red dude?  :o He was supporting Supertramp in the 70s?  :o

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 07:07:19 am »

Yup  :)

From Wiki

Chris de Burgh signed his first contract with A&M Records in 1974, and supported Supertramp on their Crime of the Century tour, building himself a small fan base.