letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: Keith Bags on The Beatles  (Read 1610 times)

Greg

Keith Bags on The Beatles
« on: August 05, 2015, 01:45:54 pm »

https://www.yahoo.com/music/keith-richards-bags-on-the-beatles-mishmash-of-125924591171.html

I'm surprised he said this.  I know musicians can go off once in a while, but I'm still surprised because he and Paul are kind of friends.

The sentence about Pepper and Satanic Majesty was kind of weird.  That made little sense to me.  I look at it as the Stones chasing the Bealtes' progressive art but falling short.  (And...I like Satanic Majesty, listen to it often.  I think it's a great album.  It's that cover that kills me more than anything.)

Mervap

• Administrator
Re: Keith Bags on The Beatles
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 02:42:02 pm »

Sounds like a mixture of sour grapes and Keith wanting some pub for his solo album...
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 02:48:25 pm »

I'd have to hear/see that interview to get where Keef is coming from there. To me, it sounded more like Lennon where he thought all his songs were rubbish.  Then again, he could have fallen out of a coconut tree again.  ;D

Keri

• Music from under my skin
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 08:45:40 pm »

He doesn't say much in that article, this is the crux of it:

“There’s not a lot of roots in that music...What’s wrong with Sgt. Pepper? “Some people think it’s a genius album, but I think it’s a mishmash of rubbish,”

I suspect this is Keith's considered opinion. I'm not actually a Stones fan so Keith's opinion has little weight with me, but as to the substance of what he is saying. "Not an lot of roots" I just don't think Keith recognises the roots of Beatles music, for me it is more grounded than the Stones, the Stones tried to draw on African American Blues music but I think what the Beatles did was greater in that their music had more English roots especially with Sgt Pepper, so it was truer to who they were. There is plenty of Blues, Motown, Rock N Roll influence in the Beatles, but there is always the sense that this is all being channeled through a Liverpudlean sensibility. English culture has a very magpie sense to it and Beatles music is a massive conduit for it. The Stones to me are always trying to be something they aren't, they do it really well, but as far as being grounded and having roots I'd give it to the Beatles every time.

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 07:45:06 am »

Agree. I don't think Keef was ever really into that whole 'peace and love' thing anyway and found the whole flower power movement a load of hogwash. He loves his roots music and being deeply entrenched in one thing, The Beatles were more into taking little bits of different things and cobbling them together to create something interesting.

Greg

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 04:18:49 pm »

We've all heard Keith talk, right?  Can we even be sure he actually said this?  Maybe the reporter just made this up because he didn't understand a single word the man said.  ;)

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2015, 05:29:14 pm »

Now THAT was funny!!!!
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?