letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: 'Remastering' and 'remixing'.. and Tug Of War 2015..  (Read 1866 times)

kylenz

• Email
'Remastering' and 'remixing'.. and Tug Of War 2015..
« on: August 25, 2015, 09:04:27 am »

Earlier today I got a free download off the Paul McCartney website via Rolling Stone - http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/hear-a-funky-remastered-single-from-an-eighties-paul-mccartney-classic-20150824 - it is the 7 inch edit of 'Take It Away' that starts straight away with the drums intro - no fade-in like on the album version.

They hail it as 'funky and remastered' - but to me it just sounds the way it always has since 1982 - there's no magic dust sprinkled on this one. It's not even going to be included on the upcoming deluxe re-release of 'Tug of War'. Is anyone else getting weary of the overuse of the 'remastering' phrase to describe these reissues?

Another thing to bear in mind is Paul REMIXING the entire 'Tug Of War' album. Will it sound any different in reality? 'Take It Away' didn't sound any different. I would've liked a bit more bass response, as the original album does feel a little trebly and thin eq-wise. But I guess that was a byproduct of the new digital technology they were using at the time. Hopefully Paul's new remixes will indeed address that.

But yeah, did anyone else pick up the free download? Also, it is not a 320k mp3, it is a VBR mp3 in the high 200s. If they weren't going to include it on the album they should've made it available at least in FLAC. Oh well..

kylenz

• Email
Re: 'Remastering' and 'remixing'.. and Tug Of War 2015..
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 09:14:18 am »

GREAT discussion on the TOW 2015 remix here, by the way - http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/tug-of-war-remix.452078/

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 12:50:57 pm »

Both versions are on Youtube and playing them back to back I can't hear much of difference. The soundcloud version on RS sounds really clean to me. I don't know what to think really. I see there is a Pipes of Peace remaster too. Right...I'll run right out and get that one.  :P ;) ;D

Keri

• Music from under my skin
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 02:29:10 pm »

Great, I need to buy a copy of this, great that it's finally available.

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 06:38:16 pm »

I did listen to the new mix and I thought there was a bit more bass and drum clarity, but what they meant by "funky" I'll never know.
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

Greg

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 11:08:21 pm »

It was so nice to see this post.  I listened to this 3 times in a row today.  I thought..."What's the heck is is?  Funky?"

Man is that song great though.  He sings it so well.  His was voice was unreal back then.