letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: The Best Album of This Century is...  (Read 2474 times)

Greg

The Best Album of This Century is...
« on: September 01, 2015, 08:20:25 pm »

Broken Bells debut alum.

Who are you submitting for this title?

2 of 3

• Email
Re: The Best Album of This Century is...
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 09:05:18 pm »

Funny you mentioned them because they did one of the great Beatle cover songs ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOm0PtCU7MA

Letterman must have been a fan because they were on a lot.

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 09:37:07 pm »

This is so difficult. I listen to so little new music it's shameful.  :-\

I guess I can only say what I listen to regularly..

Neil Finn - One Nil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJVJsWxlkXM

or

Justin Currie - What Is Love For?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkgSQsvxKsI&index=8&list=PLMuVBd1d97qDSAY0SnC4l1JKxynsjfcHt

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 07:51:33 am »

I have 2 contenders: 'Sucker' by Charli XCX, and 'Pretty Odd' by Panic at the Disco. Oddly enough, it was the Zombies-like sound on the album that literally split the group in half in the wake of that album. I think they made one of the best albums of all-time.

And the Charli XCX is a classic album from beginning to end - chock full of hits, and the rest of the album sure has a new wave/punk snarl to it - like the Panic at the Disco - a relic out of time. If it were 1981 she would've been as huge as Kim Wilde, Bow Wow Wow, Lene Lovich etc. 'Body of My Own' could easily be The Police. And her all-female band kicks serious butt.

And wow, I just found her covering 'I Want Candy'! New wave indeed! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATTRNsPAX4Q

And here's 'Break The Rules' - bloody brilliant https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABhDiXbUaBE

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 07:11:16 pm »

As of today, I'd nominate Pugwash's "The Olympus Sound", although their new one is starting to reveal its charms.
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

Keri

• Music from under my skin
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 02:23:23 pm »

I'm going to sort of cheat on this one and say Brian Wilson Presents SMiLE as some of it was composed a little earlier, but only completed and released this Century. Fantastic album.

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 08:03:41 am »

Isn't it interesting that none of us chose albums that represent the sound of this century? They are all harking back to some distant era. I blame it all on hip-hop crap that's taken over as the genre of choice..  :-X

Greg

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2015, 10:46:33 am »

Isn't it interesting that none of us chose albums that represent the sound of this century? They are all harking back to some distant era. I blame it all on hip-hop crap that's taken over as the genre of choice..  :-X

Good point.  And it's interesting that there's no overlap.  We certainly don't have a consensus on the best album of 2000's.

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2015, 04:10:53 pm »

I blame it all on hip-hop crap

Yeah!...and get off my lawn!!  ;) ;D

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2015, 10:08:38 pm »

Good point.  And it's interesting that there's no overlap.  We certainly don't have a consensus on the best album of 2000's.

Well yeah that's another good point - is there a 'general consensus' out there amongst critics as to the greatest album of the century so far? Like say, for the 1960s, critics would generally say Sgt Pepper or Pet Sounds was the greatest album of the 1960s. Or Dark Side of the Moon would be the greatest album of the 70s. Thriller, say, for the 1980s. But can they do this for the music of now? I'm not sure the possible contenders are strong enough (sure, we all have our own preferences but is there say, a Rihanna album that would fit the criteria? I don't think so).

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2015, 10:08:56 pm »

I blame it all on hip-hop crap

Yeah!...and get off my lawn!!  ;) ;D

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2015, 10:21:05 pm »

So, to make this thread more interesting, let's phrase this differently. If we tighten our criteria to 'the sound of right now', who would you pick? I would actually go for Lady Gaga - 'The Fame'. I bought this cd when I was over in England, it genuinely is really consistent throughout, I don't think there is a weak track on it. It was a huge seller, had some massive hits and accurately reflected the sound of say, 5 years ago. I also saw her live and the pop hits translated to a full band rock sound and the theatrics were top notch too. You felt like you were watching a top tier West End musical with rapid costume changes etc.

Gaga has progressively become more inconsistent in the years since (Born This Way was up-and-down though still overall strong.. Artpop was terrible in spite of a couple of decent tunes), but The Fame is rock-solid throughout. That would be my pick.

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2015, 10:50:30 pm »

The problem I have making a choice is that I don't like anything. ;D

I made the "get off my lawn" joke earlier, but I fit the mold there. I mean, I'm not even sure I like the music that maybe should "fit" my mould. Hell, I can't even decide how to spell mold/mould.  ;D

Should Arcade Fire be mentioned? It's not something I listen to, but they are pretty huge with some huge albums.

Greg

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2015, 09:31:17 am »

I can't even make a pick with the new criteria. I don't like most things I hear.  I dismiss most things unless it appears somewhat odd to me.  I'd just go with the Lady Gaga album by reputation and KyleNZ's recommendation.

(This is just going to throw this whole thread even further off track.

Best album of the 80's under my regime:  Life's Rich Pageant.  REM ...or Imperial Bedroom.  Elvis.)

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2015, 05:59:27 pm »

If I had to pick something with "the sound of right now", the closest I could get would be Guster's "Ganging Up On The Sun", but as soon as I typed that, I realized that one is 9 years old. I enjoyed "My Head Is An Animal" by Of Monsters And Men for a while...
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?