General Discussions > Free Trade Zone

Free Music

(1/1)

2 of 3:
I thought we should start a thread where we list places to LEGALLY get FREE music. Here's one I saw today.

If you like SIA....Google is giving her album away today.

https://play.google.com/store/music/album/Sia_1000_Forms_Of_Fear_Deluxe_Version?id=Bkux47ucigtpa633inrrprkctd4&hl=en

kylenz:
I have the Sia album but unfortunately I feel it's her weakest record to date. Nowhere as good as 'We Are Born' or 'Some People Have Real Problems', I don't think there's even a single strong song on it. 'Chandelier' is all pomp and no substance for example. And then we have the other singles where she's cavorting around with a little girl wearing barely anything. She's really gone down in my estimation.

Another one that disappointed for me, was the new Prince album 'Hit N Run'. It was hailed as 'experimental' but it's actually quite bland throughout and despite all the so-called 'EDM influences', they are in the main R&B slow jams that could've been recorded in 1988. I would say a more fitting title for it would be 'Hit N' Miss'.

It is available only as an exclusive on the Tidal streaming service, but obviously it can't be that exclusive, as I found it readily-available on a torrent site. This whole 'free legal' thing is a bit of a misnomer these days, people can sign up to Spotify or whatever and listen to whatever music they want without paying a cent, but that in my opinion hurts the artists just as much as getting it off a torrent.  Linda Perry for example got 30 million plays of her song 'Beautiful' (a massive Christina Aguilera hit) on Pandora for example, and received a royalty of $300 for it!! The industry are continuing to rip people off even with the new paradigms in place..

2 of 3:
I have no idea how any of this stuff works anymore. I remember filling out playlist logs when I was in radio. They were sent in every quarter and magically, the artists got some money. I assume that is still the case? Too bad it's only 15 artists now that get rotated every 30 minutes.(goodness commercial radio terrible)
Now with streaming services, I have no idea how that works. Do they know a song has been listened to in its entirety? Sure, a song might have been clicked on 20 million times...but it could also have only been listened to for 19 seconds. I guess they must know how much bandwidth is being used per song or something. I don't know. They whole system is weird to me. I think an artist should be paid for his work, but I also think that getting paid for every listen is a strange setup. I mean, should an electrician get paid a royalty every time you put a light on?  ;) ;D

2 of 3:
Ok...Google Play has The Bleachers for free today, and apparently....Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here is free too. US only though.

https://play.google.com/store/music/album/Bleachers_Terrible_Thrills_Vol_2?id=B2mqu5snoc2kum5vv2urldpsoiu

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version