letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: The Beatles "1" DVD/Blu Ray Release - November 2015  (Read 3047 times)

kylenz

• Email
The Beatles "1" DVD/Blu Ray Release - November 2015
« on: September 16, 2015, 06:52:18 am »

Just found out about this and I'm so excited! This will be a day one purchase for sure. All their official promotional videos plus heaps of extras have been painstakingly restored (and even mastered in 4K resolution!) and will be due for release in November. Here's some information on it (including the tracklistings) - http://www.masslive.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2015/09/the_beatles_to_release_1960s_m.html

and here are some tasters for the videos - here's the official trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=85&v=1-h9qvPrTeE

and here's another trailer showing the restoration process (pretty cool) -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-dJAC2tybE&feature=youtu.be

Can't wait for this to be released! What next for the wishlist? Let It Be and totally uncut?  :-X  :D

2 of 3

• Email
Re: The Beatles "1" DVD/Blu Ray Release - November 2015
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 08:02:56 am »

That's pretty cool.  8) I'd like to see the complete rooftop show restored with extra bits.  :)

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 09:06:03 am »

Yes! Me too, I'd love to see that. Must be a full-time round the clock gig being a Beatles archivist, restoring all these films frame-by-frame. The only thing that disappoints me about this particular collection, is the creation of new footage that has nothing to do with the song being played. For instance, there's a video for 'Eight Days A Week', cobbled from live footage from the Shea Stadium film - yet they did not actually play that particular song at that concert! Also, the way the discs have been spread out, I would prefer if they just ran ALL the videos from disc-to-disc in proper chronological order. It makes no sense to me to have Paperback Writer, Penny Lane on one disc, but Rain and Strawberry Fields Forever, A Day in the Life etc split onto a separate bonus disc.

But of course it makes total sense if you think with a business head and the shrewd/annoying trend of carving these releases up into various 'Deluxe Editions', which I'm sure we are all at the end of our tether with. Why can't they just release everything they have all in one hit? I can't see a market for those that only want one disc of video material. Casual fans would probably not buy it. Then again, maybe they would..

(..do people actually buy physical dvds/discs anymore?)

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 03:19:22 pm »

do people actually buy physical DVDs/discs anymore?

Somebody must since they have no problem producing them. I mean..what was the last thing I bought on DVD? Probably a comedy show. I think. The internet has everything. I still look at all my albums and wonder if I'll ever play them again. I would never buy this set though I'd like to see it once. Once isn't going to make me spend money on it.  :P

Greg

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 05:59:53 pm »

That restored stuff is unreal.  Really good.

But I'll bet that next year we'll see:

"New! See the videos as The Beatles originally intended!  The completely original videos in their classic original state!  See these videos as they were seen by those who were there.  Unrestored!  Get yours today!"

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 06:33:43 pm »

It makes no sense to me to have Paperback Writer, Penny Lane on one disc, but Rain and Strawberry Fields Forever, A Day in the Life etc split onto a separate bonus disc.

Only reason I can see for that is I think this is also a kind of re-release of The Beatles "One" collection, which gathered all the number one hits on one disc......the songs one the bonus disc, while certainly among the Lads' best, weren't number one hits. I agree with you, though.....why be so tidy about keeping the track listing exactly the same?
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2015, 07:26:26 pm »

do people actually buy physical DVDs/discs anymore?

Somebody must since they have no problem producing them. I mean..what was the last thing I bought on DVD? Probably a comedy show. I think. The internet has everything. I still look at all my albums and wonder if I'll ever play them again. I would never buy this set though I'd like to see it once. Once isn't going to make me spend money on it.  :P

I'm in the same quandary regarding the blu-ray of 'Help'. I love the movie but let's face it, I'll watch it the once and then it will sit on the shelf for 5 years before I think about watching it again - meanwhile in NZ they will want $50+ NZ dollars for it when other blu rays are within the $15-20 range.

So when it comes to this new Beatles collection, no doubt someone will put ALL the clips on YouTube in full high definition and can be easily-obtainable if one wishes to go down the internet route. But I think I'll still want it on blu ray. How often will I watch it? After the first time, how many repeat viewings will there be? Especially if by then I'm in the mood to watch a quick clip of one song, I'm more likely to just bring it up on YouTube, rather than go through the fuss of chucking the blu ray into the machine, waiting for it to load up, fiddle with the remote to locate the chapters, click on the clip I want to see, watch it, hit 'stop'. Watch the blu ray player grind to a shutdown as I turn it off. YouTube is instant.

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2015, 08:07:21 pm »

I think it's great that they spend the time and money restoring this stuff. What really annoys me is when they release something on Blu-ray that was originally in standard definition...and they don't do anything except encoding it into Blu-ray. It's just the same stuff that plays on the new player. So, good for them for the restoration.  :)

But I'll bet that next year we'll see:

"New! See the videos as The Beatles originally intended!  The completely original videos in their classic original state!  See these videos as they were seen by those who were there.  Unrestored!  Get yours today!"

True..but it will be in 4k at least...or...maybe 8k?  ;)

Funny, I just read a story about the new 8k television. Starting at $133,000 US.  ::)

2 of 3

• Email

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2015, 05:46:52 am »

Well the countdown is on.. 3 or so days to go.. I've pre-ordered it and can't wait!

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2015, 12:01:07 am »

Well my deluxe double blu-ray 'Beatles 1+' arrived in the post today! I won't have time to watch anything from it at the moment but, can't wait!!!

It includes a booklet of EXTENSIVE liner notes for every song in the collection. Very impressed with it as a package. Roll on the weekend so I have free time to sit down and enjoy it!  8)