letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: Interesting info  (Read 1650 times)

Greg

Interesting info
« on: October 18, 2015, 06:32:19 pm »

The tape that Brian brought 'round, when he was turned down by many record companies, were those horrible Decca tapes.  Tony Barrow later wondered why he didn't just pay for a better quality recording to bring around.  Turned out ok in the end but very interesting.  Good thing that guy at Ardmore Beechwood liked some of those songs though.

2 of 3

• Email
Re: Interesting info
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 10:03:11 pm »

Even with a poor sounding Demo, you have to think that these record exec's would have the info of who is killing it in the clubs. Even in 1962 the Beatles had a rabid fanbase in the UK. Still, like you said...it was all for the best. George Martin wasn't at Decca.( that I know of)

kylenz

• Email
Re: Interesting info
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 12:03:49 am »

I actually liked the sound of those Decca tapes, and they were good performances. The only thing that would prevent me from signing them, would be the question "can they write their own material?" - because they were all covers and standards, that alone would have me thinking twice about them.

And of course, they became the greatest songwriters popular music have ever known! :)  But you wouldn't have known it from those demos.