Every Little Thing- Beatles Discussion > The Beatles- General Discussion

Anyone have any Unpopular Opinion about The Beatles?

(1/2) > >>

Greg:
I prob have a few.  I'm not looking for criticisms of my unpopular opinions....although that would be totally fine. 
I really would like to know if you have any.

My main one is that Paul has become what I had hoped he wouldn't.  Elvis.

He's not the cartoon that Elvis became, but close enough for me.

...Please...I know...you don't need to say it.  This is coming from a guy who loves the man.  I used to stay up just to see him on Midnight Special or whatever just to take a picture of the tv screen as he sang.  The guy was as important, more actually, than my ridiculous father.

Anyway...any unpopular opinions?

My other is my dislike for Glass Onion (that's just a matter of opinion though).   Another is that I'm glad they broke up in 70.  They will live on forever flawlessly in my eyes.

Mervap:

--- Quote ---Another is that I'm glad they broke up in 70.  They will live on forever flawlessly in my eyes.
--- End quote ---

I agree totally on this one....when it became clear that not all of the Lads wanted to be in the band anymore, they knocked it on the head, sparing us the "replacing John" or "replacing Paul" thing that would have cheapened their legacy. The painting was complete.

2 of 3:
I heard a comedian say the other day while talking about Mozart, that at least he was lucky enough to die while he was still cool. Unlike Paul McCartney.

My opinion about Paul is that he keeps chasing being relevant by working with people he shouldn't. I was never thrilled about his MJ collaborations. Not that they were bad...they just weren't...err...Beatley. Now it's Kanye...or was it Jay Zed? (hey...that's the Canadian pronunciation)  ;D The only people who seem to be cool are the ones that don't care what anybody else thinks. Probably all an illusion. ;)
I don't blame him for trying of course. But you know...John had Elton and Bowie...George had Dylan and Petty and Orbison.  Paul should have stuck with Costello. At least the tunes weren't throwaways. Sure they weren't hits...but..you know. :o

I'm not glad they broke up in 1970 at all. They still had lots of great songs in them, but nobody to tell them that some of it was rubbish. Even breaking up on friendly terms would have been better. At least we'd get some guest appearances over the years.

kylenz:
For me, the most unpopular opinion I would have, is of John Lennon as a person.

As a musician and songwriter, he is definitely up there with the greatest of all-time of course. But he was not the peace-and-love person he was perceived to be. And I also feel he may have been responsible for Stu Sutcliffe's death via a kick to the head.

I love him as a Beatle, love his music, love the fire and energy he had inside.. but he also seems to have been a complicated man plagued by his own demons. And it seems that with the passing of time, all the stuff covered in the Goldman book becomes backed up with support from various quarters, including Stu's own sister.

As for Glass Onion, I love it - it rocks - I'm just wondering what in particular doesn't appeal - is it the self-referential lyrics? I find it a cool little quirk of Beatles songs - even Lady Madonna took the 'see how they run' line from I Am The Walrus and placed it in a completely different context. Another thing I like about Glass Onion is that little solo recorder part - great little touch there. All those bits and pieces made those songs so great.  :D

2 of 3:
That's the thing though...they all had their issues. I'm more than a little impressed they made it through the 60's all in one piece. Can you imagine what that was like...the money..the fame...women throwing themselves at you 24/7...the drink..the drugs. Wow...I'd have lasted about 3 minutes. haha  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version