letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: I Am Ashamed To Say That I've Never Seen This  (Read 2368 times)

Greg

I Am Ashamed To Say That I've Never Seen This
« on: November 08, 2015, 08:59:27 pm »

2 of 3

• Email
Re: I Am Ashamed To Say That I've Never Seen This
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 09:13:18 pm »

Totally. I have this on a bootleg somewhere in my pile of records. This is the first time I've seen the video too. Thanks, Greg.  :D

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 11:10:37 pm »

I know this probably gets put up there amongst the 'unpopular opinions', but I hate that Faces version of the song. I cannot understand for the life of me why everyone raves about it. It's a complete shambles. And Rod doesn't have the range to do the high falsetto bit which they transpose onto guitar.

One thing about Rod though - he looks cool with that beard thing going on - he should have kept that look!

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 08:12:15 am »

Come on mate. Surely you're being a bit of a dag here? Gotta admit, I'm a bit brassed off with your review. Some people couldn't see the road to the dunny if it had red flags on it. This performance is cracker! I can't help but think you are trying to put someone crook here. You should try and give it a fair go. Did you just get out of the fart sack or something? I mean it's not exactly a fitter and turner now is it?  Sure, it's not full tit..but come on, it's not half pie. Nowhere near a piece of piss, or puckeroo'd. I'll admit though, that it is rough as guts. I mean, I realize I don't know you from a bar of soap and you think maybe I'm having a bit of a wobbly, but the truth is, I'm just having a yack.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D

PS. I have an i7 processor in this computer and it was overheating with the spell check in overdrive. :)

Greg

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 10:58:20 am »

I know this probably gets put up there amongst the 'unpopular opinions', but I hate that Faces version of the song. I cannot understand for the life of me why everyone raves about it. It's a complete shambles. And Rod doesn't have the range to do the high falsetto bit which they transpose onto guitar.

One thing about Rod though - he looks cool with that beard thing going on - he should have kept that look!

Rod Stewart.  One of the most squandered careers in rock.  He does not have the range...true.  It is a reckless mess in a way.  I can see how you or anyone wouldn't like it.  To me I like it as a whole.  It's rough and has some authenticity to it.  The crudeness is what I like.  I also like to see Rod Stewart when he was still Rod Stewart.  That keyboard sound I like to.  I just like the very non-polished cluster that it is.

If you haven't seen this great banjo version of Strawberry Fields check it out at the 1:05 mark. Up until the 1:05 mark I find it dismal. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN6g3LhhcxI&list=PLUSRfoOcUe4Zl4ikusMuke9jDy5TDO6t8
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 11:00:32 am by Greg »

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 07:09:03 pm »

I guess I should explain my reply to Kyle. I just happened to find a website that had New Zealand slang words and expressions. I thought they were funny and tried to use them. Hopefully, Kyle does too.  :P

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2015, 07:44:56 pm »

I figured as much.......I was hoping as well.  :o
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

Greg

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2015, 08:57:32 pm »

We know you were kidding...but I'm serious when I say that I just plain don't like you 2 of 3.

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2015, 09:53:08 pm »

Ha! Welcome to the club.  :)

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2015, 11:57:52 pm »

I guess I should explain my reply to Kyle. I just happened to find a website that had New Zealand slang words and expressions. I thought they were funny and tried to use them. Hopefully, Kyle does too.  :P

Strewth mate, I was about to throw one!  ;D

I reckon it was probably this version that inspired Macca to use electric piano on his 'Wings Over America' version. I prefer ordinary piano on this.. but having said that, my favourite version is the hard-rocking one by The Virgos - sublime and perfect - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et_07yaiCz0

I like Rod, he's had a good career, but not a big fan of his Lennon/McCartney interpretations. His cover of 'Get Back' is pretty shambolic too! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts0kuVVodHY