letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: Ok...I'll say it.  (Read 2356 times)

2 of 3

• Email
Ok...I'll say it.
« on: November 24, 2015, 08:12:18 pm »

I believe that Yoko wrote almost all of John's later work.

Discuss.  8)

Greg

Re: Ok...I'll say it.
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 09:15:41 pm »

2...If she wrote all of his later stuff, then tell me this:  How could she have written Oh Yoko?  It would have come out Oh Me now wouldn't it?

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 09:57:48 pm »

Haha...good point. But...I was thinking more of the stuff he did after taking 5 years off to bake bread.  :)

Greg

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 10:23:38 pm »

Darn...got them mixed up.  Dear Me would have been a more timely joke.

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 03:27:10 am »

I will respectfully disagree.  8)
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 08:48:25 am »

I'll even say that Imagine is mostly Yoko. :P

Greg

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 01:27:35 pm »

Wait...so the real Yoko died in a car crash in '68?

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2015, 01:48:15 pm »

Well, as silly as my first post was/is....it was to stimulate a discussion. Yoko had a huge influence in the direction John went musically. And, I do believe that she was the idea person in that relationship. I guess you have to get your ideas somewhere. I mean, it's not like I'm saying she broke up the Beatles. That would be crazy talk.  ;D

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2015, 12:47:02 am »

She basically wrote 'I'm Losing You'. I'm convinced now, that John wrote that song specifically about her.. things seemed to be heading downhill at that time..

Greg

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2015, 08:59:02 pm »

I think the original post by 2 was very insightful yet went right over my head.

So...

To comment...

I do think that his obsession/love for her never ended.  I do think he loved her, but I also think there was an obsession-aspect to his feelings too.  So to 2of3's point I would say that she very well could have had an impact on his later music that is overlooked by most articles and books. 

Seriously...the post by 2 was very insightful.  I hadn't really ever considered that line of thought very much.

Many later songs were probably inspired very much by her.  I think a genius probably goes through periods of genius or almost nothing.
He was a musical genius.  I wouldn't apply that to anyone else in the 20th Century.  But if he was not an inspired genius in the late 70's, then she must have had a great influence on him.

So..what was Yoko's contribution towards the end?  She was always progressive.  I don't think he was very progressive at all towards the end.  His jukebox in that apartment had all 50's records in it.  She probably did kick his ass into gear in many ways. 

In conclusion; I missed 2's point of his post completely.  I messaged him to apologize for screwing up his original point.  I'll apologize here too.  Sorry man for not understanding your original point.

(You need to dumb down your posts from now on though...for my sake.  If you don't you'll get no more apologies from me.)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 09:01:30 pm by Greg »

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2015, 09:29:24 pm »

No need to apologize. We're all friends here.  :)

I purposely left the line of questioning pretty vague on purpose. Mostly cuz I wanted as many different viewpoints as possible without steering everyone to the most probable answers.  The thing is after Yoko...there aren't a lot of John songs. Or is there? Maybe Yoko started sounding like John and I just can't let myself hear it. Or maybe I'm on to something. John stopped Rockin'