letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: RIP Scott Weiland  (Read 1535 times)

kylenz

• Email
RIP Scott Weiland
« on: December 05, 2015, 05:41:17 am »

Well it's 2 days in and I am still completely bummed out.

This guy was a hero to me, he wrote and sang on some of the greatest modern rock songs of all time. Stone Temple Pilots at their peak are right up there with The Beatles and the Stones etc. Even his final album released this year, 'Blaster', was a goodie.

My favourite STP album was 'Tiny Music'. The first two tracks, 'Press Play'/'Pop's Love Suicide', reminded me so much of 'Reception'/'Getting Closer' on Macca's Back To The Egg - so similar - both instrumentals as openers, both roughly the same length, roughly the same tempo and groove, and both slamming into the next track which is like the big uptempo single of the album. So many parallels there! And the way 'Tiny Music' was produced, with the guitars panned hard-left and right, reminded me of the way records used to sound like. For me, it is one of the greatest albums of all time, right up there with Abbey Road and Revolver - yes I put it in the same league. It even had a Beatle-like tune in 'Lady Picture Show' which could easily have been lifted off 'Pepper'. Weiland obviously was a huge Beatles fan - there's an excellent performance of him on YouTube doing a fine job of 'Revolution'.

My all-time favourite STP song, came from their 'No. 4' album - here is 'Sour Girl' -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxS4lqppZ6Y

The news of his passing has left a massive hole inside me. :(

2 of 3

• Email
Re: RIP Scott Weiland
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 09:39:58 am »

I know what you mean. He was another guy who had a few different voices, and that's something I like in a singer. F'n drugs man..jeebuz. :-\

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 01:16:45 pm »

Hey kyle...do you have a link to your STP cover? I mean, I don't do Facebook, but I'd love to hear it.

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 02:36:53 pm »

Ahh, I see Mervap must've mentioned something about that!  ;D

I don't think it's good enough to expose to the general public, but I will PM it to you since you're keen to hear it! Cheers!

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 02:40:43 pm »

Actually, it was Lampie who told me about it. Who is this Mervap person you speak of?  :P :o ;) ;D

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 06:39:49 pm »

Awww yeah - Lampie gave me a 'like' for it!  ;D ;D ;D

I wonder if they still do 'pokes' on social media?  ;D