letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: Love (and other 4 letter words)  (Read 2451 times)

Mervap

• Administrator
Love (and other 4 letter words)
« on: December 06, 2015, 07:45:16 pm »

A FB friend of mine posted a short statement the other day in the wake of the Paris and San Bernadino attacks. He said," I think we have lost the ability to love each other". It hit home with me and I thought about it that whole day. When I returned home, I flipped the script on him a little and said that I thought what we've lost a sense of collective destiny, that we all are born, live and die on the same little rock hanging in space. Every thing we do is here, with our fellow Earthlings, on this planet. That fact should be uniting us.....
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

kylenz

• Email
Re: Love (and other 4 letter words)
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 02:21:10 am »

I blame it on dumbphones. The very thing that should be connecting us more than ever, ultimately isolates the individual - psychologically, emotionally, and physically.   :-\

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 09:38:27 am »

That's a good point about the phones. I was watching a video of Coldplay at the BBC from the other night....the MC introduced the band and I thought...why is nobody clapping? They panned back and 101% of the people in the crowd were holding up their phones. I was thinking, doesn't anyone want to enjoy the moment..now? I've noticed that a lot in another concert video. Nobody listening. It's like the only reason anybody is there is to say they were  there. I guess that explains EDM.  :o :D

Merv...I'll assume that you have heard the comment before, that the earth needs an alien invasion to bring us all together. I have a feeling even that wouldn't work today. I have no idea why the world is so unaccepting of others ideas. Don't get me wrong, I'm as bad as the next guy when it comes to making fun of something I don't really understand. But I don't hate. The vitriol you see and hear in regards to politics or religion is just scary. We can all learn from each other. Everyday. How some people can actually believe they know everything...without a doubt...is beyond me. Am I going to Heaven or Hell? I don't know. I'll text you when I get there.  :P

Greg

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 09:07:03 pm »

Great great post.  I have always thought that in 500 years or so it will be easy to see just what the overall trend(s) is/are in history  that has led us to this current situation.

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 10:29:39 am »

I'm sticking this here because it fits Greg's original idea. Mandy is so passionate. Good stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMW0y2QiLZg

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2015, 04:01:53 pm »

Love that guy! So glad he finally found that six-fingered man...

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2020, 08:05:18 am »

Wow....this is more timely today than it was even then......

Greg

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2020, 01:09:18 pm »

The U.S. needs to invest in the Black Community and its neighborhoods.

This cycle is ridiculous.  The media and twitter outrage.  It just goes on and on with no attempt to build a better life for people.
The cop will go to jail and racism is solved?
The cop goes free and racism is solved?

They have to help these neighborhoods with better housing and employment.

Keri

• Music from under my skin
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2020, 03:58:46 am »

From the outside the US looks crazy at the moment

This Floyd George thing is so obviously wrong, does anyone believe those officers would have been arrested had there been no third party filming the incident, and that filming was damning. And the officer that killed him had 3 other officers with him who all did nothing.

You can't have law enforcement being outright murderers.

I don't think you can solve racism but I think you can root out this kind of racist action.

I agree with Greg you need to solve the issues of housing and employment, you also need to ensure that everyone can easily vote, no hour long lines and no weird drawing of districts. Man there are so many parts to this crazy puzzle.

The US looks like a nation in chaos, but I imagine there are so many neighbourhoods where life is just carrying on as normal.

Greg

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2020, 12:20:56 am »

That was really insightful Keri especially because you don't live here.  Your points are dead on. 

This nation, to me, is mostly crazy. 
If budgets are moral documents, then we really are nuts.

Our govt spends 53% of its budget on the military.  Our young people are crushed with debt just for going to college, we spend more on healthcare than any nation yet even people like me (who is doing fine in life) kind of have to worry about medical bills.

Trump is crazy and a selfish lunatic who is surrounded by powerful, wealthy people, but how bad of a party do you have to be, Democrats, to lose to this guy?

You know what Obama's platform was for African-Americans?  "Hey, I'm African-American."  That's it. 

We have a no-party system here. 

Which party is the anti-war party? Which party wants to protect the environment?  Which party wants universal health care for all?  Which party is pro-labor?  Which party is proposing real efforts to make college as cheap as it was when I went to college?  Which party has made significant efforts to address 400 years of oppression, injustice, violence, and discrimination again African-Americans?

Here are the answers to those questions.
Neither party. Neither party. Neither party. Neither party. Neither party. Neither party.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 12:22:50 am by Greg »