letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The Donald  (Read 8766 times)

2 of 3

• Email
The Donald
« on: December 09, 2015, 06:50:27 pm »

Here're my thoughts on this guy. He never really wanted to be President. He got into the campaign just for a bit of fun, and now he can't believe he's leading in the polls. So he says silly things to rock the boat and he just keep getting more support. He probably sits at his desk and wonders "what do I have to do get out of this?"...so he says, even more, outrageous things. I'll bet he can't wait to drop in the polls.

Mervap

• Administrator
Re: The Donald
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 08:41:01 pm »

I hope you're right...
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

Greg

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 09:55:25 pm »

It says so so much about America that he has so many supporters.

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 03:06:37 pm »

Greg

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 04:12:57 pm »

The media all report on his craziness.  Do they report on the revolving door of congress to business to congress to business?  Nope.  Both parties run that revolving door, but the heavy coverage is on a spoiled little boy.

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 02:15:58 am »

Well I think Trump is saying what I feel most people believe, but are unable to say because of this crazy politically correct society where you can't have anything outrageous to say in case it offends somebody.

Here in NZ, the vibe around our smoko table at work is that Trump is saying EXACTLY what everyone is thinking. He's not afraid to say that Obama and his off-sider Hillary C. created ISIS via their policies to destabilise the Middle East and try to get rid of Assad (the 'Syrian Rebels' after all, were funded by the US with the intention of getting rid of Assad - they morphed into ISIS of course and Russia are right in behind Assad because they WANT TO GET RID OF ISIS AND THE SITUATION OOBOZO CREATED!). He's not afraid to stick up for American manufacturing, to the point where he will impose tariffs on any cars or car parts imported into the US, including Ford plants in Mexico.

Sure he mouths off and puts his foot in it every now and then, but I like that he wants to bring back 'the old America'. When the American Dream was attainable. And now, the middle classes are getting wiped out.

Oh that's right, the media once chastised him for saying 'The American Dream is Dead" - when he actually said that he wants to bring it back bigger than ever. Speaking of the media, I'm a big fan of his press spokesman Katrina Pierson - she's been brilliant at going on CNN etc and retorting all the nonsense spewed out towards him and blowing it right back in the reporters' faces.

I don't think he will make it to the final nomination. Something will happen that will ensure that Cruz or some other puppet gets the nod instead. All these things are ALWAYS pre-planned in advance. But he's giving them a darn good shake-up nonetheless!

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 03:47:48 pm »

I will only respectfully say that Donald Trump does not speak for me or say what I am thinking. Every time we have elected a maverick or cowboy it has ended badly for the average American.
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 04:44:26 pm »

What the world needs are more thinkers/do'ers like Elon Musk. The world has changed. Time to move on...to get away from fossil fuels. Stop being held hostage by OPEC. Stop letting the gazillionaires screw us up the bum because of their relentless quest to become bazillionaires. Greed man...holy moly.  :'(

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2016, 10:56:28 pm »

Very good points. New paradigms are what we need. Going back to 'the old way' may no longer be applicable anymore. Especially with the advances in robotics in manufacturing, we almost need to be looking at a 'post-work' world. I've seen much discussion on the need for introducing an universal basic income, generated from financial taxes on the wealthy. We need to look at ways forward, not back. Trump is one for going back to the good old days.

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2016, 11:45:38 pm »

I've seen much discussion on the need for introducing an universal basic income

Yeah, I heard a news story the other day about that. Germany thinking about it(as I remember) I forget which country already does this...one of the Scandinavian countries. It wasn't a lot....like 1200 a month or something....but the critics said it would make everyone lazy. It turned out that it gave people more time to do other things. More time with family, more time to take up hobbies etc. The money came from reduced social services...which they found later weren't needed since people did what they needed with the money they were given. It probably wouldn't work everywhere, but it's something different to try.

Greg

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2016, 08:11:46 pm »

I've prob mentioned it before.  Alvin Toffler's idea of a semi-direct democracy.

A certain number of the public gets to vote on bills like the house and senate.

Criticize it all you want.  It should be tried first.  It couldn't be worse than what we have now where public opinion is ignored much of the time.  You think we want cable monopolies?

Select 5000, 500, or 50 registered voters to cast votes on a certain bill.  They can research it and decide how they feel about it.  They can read republican and democratic briefs on their websites about the bill and go from there.  At least these voters aren't voting from what lobbyists can do, and have done, for them.

Are there flaws in this system?  Yep.  Look at the flaws in the voting due to our system now.  It should be tried.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 05:19:44 pm by Greg »

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2016, 02:08:58 am »

I love the idea of that. That's a real democracy. Anything else is nothing more than an illusion that we have some kind of control over what goes on.

Greg

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2016, 05:18:57 pm »

...and the elected officials' votes count in their respective chambers.  It's just that this new third chamber would have to pass the bill too.

Something has to be tried to end the current shenanigans.

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2016, 09:22:38 pm »

I'm finding it pretty funny while watching interviews of Trump supporters. Almost every one of them points out that they want "a change" and that Trump is a self-made Billionaire...that he knows how to run a business. It's like they honestly believe that Trump made all his money with Fairy Dust and hard work and didn't make it using the same system they are so desperate for "change".

Greg

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2016, 05:00:22 pm »

I'm finding it pretty funny while watching interviews of Trump supporters. Almost every one of them points out that they want "a change" and that Trump is a self-made Billionaire...that he knows how to run a business. It's like they honestly believe that Trump made all his money with Fairy Dust and hard work and didn't make it using the same system they are so desperate for "change".

This country is nuts.  I'm part of this country, so I should know.  Ha.
Pages: [1] 2 3