letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: Anybody see Star Wars Yet?  (Read 2053 times)

2 of 3

• Email
Anybody see Star Wars Yet?
« on: December 20, 2015, 11:38:48 am »

Anybody? Bueller?

Mervap

• Administrator
Re: Anybody see Star Wars Yet?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 12:31:39 pm »

I have not....will be seeing it this week sometime, though...
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 04:34:10 am »

I'll be going to see it with a friend on Boxing Day, we're gonna hit 2 birds with 2 stones - do the boxing day sales, and see it in 3D at a decent cinema..

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 05:17:00 pm »

we're gonna hit 2 birds with 2 stones

Ok..I'm old. Is that some kind of new dating ritual?  ;D ;)

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 01:45:37 am »

Oops I meant 1 stone lol, and nope this is no dating thing, it's a dude. I'll never be attractive or good enough for genuine female attention unfortunately.

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2015, 06:52:01 am »

Pretty much 100% of married guys think the same thing.  :)

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2015, 08:50:33 pm »

I start my review with this caveat: I am known amongst my friends as a bit of a purist as pertains to my sci-fi faves, Star Trek & Star Wars, so bear that in mind. I disliked what director JJ Abrams did to my beloved Star Trek (and the trailer for next year's "Star Trek Beyond" looks even worse....I mean, The Beastie Boys? Not Star Trek, ever) and the timeline I know so well, so much so that I do not consider his two films with the name "Star Trek" on them to be, for lack of a more descriptive word, canonical. Having said that, I thought they both worked as action movies, full of great stunts and explosions, with superhuman acts done by superhuman....humans. That misses the point of Star Trek, which was a more story based creature that also explored our collective inner space while entertaining in outer space. So, here goes:

I saw "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" today. It was beautifully shot on real film, in great locations, and was finely acted, for the most part. JJ Abrams was smart enough here to stick with a story we kinda recognize already. I won't spoil anything and will be non-specific, but the story has been told already. That's ok, it's a timeless tale I have enjoyed many times in other movies as well. What struck me most upon leaving the theatre was the total lack of impact the movie had upon me. It was the movie equivalent of Chinese food....2 hours later, I was hungry again. 

Each time one of the older actors from the original trilogy appeared for the first time, there was a nice feeling of familiarity and a love for characters I know well. Harrison Ford was given plenty to do and did it all with the roguish gusto we loved him for bringing to Han Solo in the first place. Leia was 30 years tougher than she was before and made a totally believable general by Carrie Fisher. Mark Hamill was not onscreen very much but brought a gravitas to Luke Skywalker that had never been there. Of the newcomers, the best acting was done by Daisy Ridley as Rey....she is a Force to be reckoned with! (see what I did there?).

My main quibbles have to do with the Villain, Kylo Ren. Every time I saw him onscreen, I was reminded of Hayden Christianson's career-stopping performance as Anikin Skywalker in the Prequel Trilogy.....petulance, whineyness, and a tendency to throw fits of anger do not instill the proper fear a bad guy should instill. Also, he engages in a light sabre battle with a couple of novices and comes away having dispatched neither. No Star Wars villain should ever let that happen. Someone should have given the guy a Snickers or something...

Having said that, I was entertained for a couple of hours....maybe hindsight will reveal more things.
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2015, 09:07:15 pm »

I loved it. I love that it was beautifully shot on real film, and the 3D was beautifully done - a lot of thought went into making it look perfectly natural. I can't wait for it to be released on 3D blu-ray where it will undoubtedly look even clearer and sharper, more vibrant, better contrast levels etc. It's funny that we live in a time where we get a better visual experience at home now than in the theatre. It was okay, but still had a murky look to it thru the glasses that have probably been worn by various patrons hundreds of times.

I actually like that the Kylo Ren character had a dweebish quality to him. He came across as a feeble Darth Vader wannabe - I liked that fresh take on a villain - that he's not all-powerful though he certainly had his moments where we could see glimpses of it.

I was really stoked at the level of involvement Harrison Ford had onscreen. He was heavily-involved in many of the action scenes, running, jumping and shooting, he really gave it his all.

Overall, I would give the film an 8. And I enjoyed the new characters just as much as the old ones.