General Discussions > Free Trade Zone

Torrents

(1/2) > >>

2 of 3:
I just realized I rarely download anything anymore. Unless it's really obscure, I can find pretty much everything on Spotify or Netflix or Youtube. I can empty some hard drives now. Yay!  :)

kylenz:
I'm going exactly the opposite! I despise streaming with a passion. Spotify gives their artists a fraction of a cent for millions of plays. Linda Perry only received $300 for tens of millions of streams for writing Christina Aguilera's classic hit 'Beautiful'.

Been ripping my blu rays to mp4 with the intention of playing all my movies thru the USB port on my tv for easy instant playback. The idea of having an entire library under my tv with no need to ever open a disc again is exciting. I have other friends getting into the swing of having portable hard drives under their tv - and storage is getting cheaper. Plus you have the ability to watch high quality ripped 3D movies at the press of a button. The list of available 3D movies on Netflix is very poor and you need all sorts of gear just to get it working.

I still believe in 'owning' your own copy in your own physical location. This relentless push to 'the cloud' for accessing online content is getting to the point where you no longer own anything for yourself, you rent it instead - even if the data was originally yours in the first place (OneDrive's photo/video storage privacy killer bundled with Windows 10 for instance).

Our world is becoming more Orwellian by the second!

2 of 3:

--- Quote ---Linda Perry only received $300 for tens of millions of streams for writing Christina Aguilera's classic hit 'Beautiful'.

--- End quote ---

Things need to change for sure. Artists need to own their work. I was listening to Chris Martin on Howard Stern, and he mentioned he doesn't own his songs. He will in about 30 years. My first thought was...hang on... nobody learned from the Beatles? It sounds like you only make money by touring.

Interesting though Kyle...you're the second person this week that told me he wants to own physical copies of everything. I look at my stacks of albums and cd's and think...when is the last time I played one of those?  :)

2 of 3:
I also question why we should pay people forever for their work.(oops...touchy subject). If you're an electrician and you  wire up a McDonalds. You get paid for your work. Now...every time McDonalds opens up, they make a profit from the work you did. Should the electrician get paid every time they use the lights? Should the plumber get paid every time somebody uses the toilet?

Oh boy....nice start to the year 2 of 3 haha  ;) ;D

Mervap:

--- Quote ---Should the electrician get paid every time they use the lights?
--- End quote ---

That would be nice! The trouble with trying to apply that model to musicians is that, when you sign a band that you think will be big, you really don't KNOW they will be. In theory, the old model worked because if your work was popular, it generated a lot of play....you would get paid in proportion to that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version