letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: Torrents  (Read 2411 times)

2 of 3

• Email
Torrents
« on: January 01, 2016, 12:44:47 pm »

I just realized I rarely download anything anymore. Unless it's really obscure, I can find pretty much everything on Spotify or Netflix or Youtube. I can empty some hard drives now. Yay!  :)

kylenz

• Email
Re: Torrents
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 01:07:54 am »

I'm going exactly the opposite! I despise streaming with a passion. Spotify gives their artists a fraction of a cent for millions of plays. Linda Perry only received $300 for tens of millions of streams for writing Christina Aguilera's classic hit 'Beautiful'.

Been ripping my blu rays to mp4 with the intention of playing all my movies thru the USB port on my tv for easy instant playback. The idea of having an entire library under my tv with no need to ever open a disc again is exciting. I have other friends getting into the swing of having portable hard drives under their tv - and storage is getting cheaper. Plus you have the ability to watch high quality ripped 3D movies at the press of a button. The list of available 3D movies on Netflix is very poor and you need all sorts of gear just to get it working.

I still believe in 'owning' your own copy in your own physical location. This relentless push to 'the cloud' for accessing online content is getting to the point where you no longer own anything for yourself, you rent it instead - even if the data was originally yours in the first place (OneDrive's photo/video storage privacy killer bundled with Windows 10 for instance).

Our world is becoming more Orwellian by the second!

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 09:23:27 am »

Linda Perry only received $300 for tens of millions of streams for writing Christina Aguilera's classic hit 'Beautiful'.

Things need to change for sure. Artists need to own their work. I was listening to Chris Martin on Howard Stern, and he mentioned he doesn't own his songs. He will in about 30 years. My first thought was...hang on... nobody learned from the Beatles? It sounds like you only make money by touring.

Interesting though Kyle...you're the second person this week that told me he wants to own physical copies of everything. I look at my stacks of albums and cd's and think...when is the last time I played one of those?  :)

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 09:48:55 am »

I also question why we should pay people forever for their work.(oops...touchy subject). If you're an electrician and you  wire up a McDonalds. You get paid for your work. Now...every time McDonalds opens up, they make a profit from the work you did. Should the electrician get paid every time they use the lights? Should the plumber get paid every time somebody uses the toilet?

Oh boy....nice start to the year 2 of 3 haha  ;) ;D

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 10:29:53 am »

Should the electrician get paid every time they use the lights?

That would be nice! The trouble with trying to apply that model to musicians is that, when you sign a band that you think will be big, you really don't KNOW they will be. In theory, the old model worked because if your work was popular, it generated a lot of play....you would get paid in proportion to that.
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 09:11:28 am »

Interesting though Kyle...you're the second person this week that told me he wants to own physical copies of everything. I look at my stacks of albums and cd's and think...when is the last time I played one of those?  :)

Well it's funny, I opened up my box set of 2009 Beatles stereo remasters tonight for the first time since I initially got them. Back then, I ripped each disc each disc to flac and mp3 and promptly put them away.

Well it dawned on me that each CD had a bonus 'mini-documentary' on the making of each album and I hadn't watched them yet! So I got each disc out, popped it in my computer, launched Handbrake, and ripped the mini-docos on each album to MP4. I watched a few of them - they were quite well done.  :)

But I also noticed for the first time, the extensive liner notes and new photos packed inside each album (some of them are very tightly-packed - and the White Album even had the mini-poster from the original LP bundled up inside with the lyrics on the back (just like the actual LP poster!) - but in very tiny almost unreadable writing!!! The amount of effort gone into the packaging of each album was something I had not appreciated before. And now, the set is about to go back on the shelf and never be seen again until maybe one day they have to be re-ripped into a snazzy new format or whatever.

But yeah, while I still believe in owning physical items, they do indeed remain unplayed on the shelf now. I guess I'm more dead against being at the mercy of the internet as far as accessing content goes. Portable hard drives seem the best solution for me right now!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 09:14:07 am by kylenz »

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 09:14:57 am »

Ha...at this point in my life, I'm not sure I could read the original full size poster!   ;D